SO2 level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SO2 level

Of late the SO2 level in my finished beer has increased to about 18-20 ppm. Any way by which the S02 can be brought down? Does CO2 washing of the beer help?

Yes, a gentle CO2 scrub for an hour will help. Also not capping off the beer to gain carbonation will help.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Might want to watch (or check) your pitching rate too, to ensure it's adequate. Apparently yeast under stress can produce more sulphur compounds.

Talk to your yeast supplier for more info on this - I'm certainly no expert, but had to work through some issues recently.

Scott

Comment

SO2 levels

I think we should be more detailed with the issue.

Sulfur-dioxide (SO2) is also formed in low amounts during mashing, but should be driven off by a rigorous boil. Here is the first question: How is your boil?
        What is your evaporation rate?
        Now we come to yeast: Mutant yeasts that have defective metabolic pathways can produce levels above flavor threshold.

Ales should not have that problem, as warmer ale fermentation and escaping CO2 driven off the compounds. This explains why lager fermentation is more susceptible to off flavors.

Hope this helps,

Fred

Comment

First things first. Check your water supply. Are you adding sulphur containing salts? Are your mash tun/fermenter thermocouples reading correctly?
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

more details

my boil seems to be fine by most parameters
            8% evap in 90 mins.

unfortuanateluy i dont have a load cell to monitor my yeast pitching
            addition is at 5l/hl of wort
            viability 97-98%
            count at pitching 16-20 million cells/ml

Comment

SO2 levels

It seems to me that your boil is vigorous.
              I would reduce the yeast pitching; rule of thumb 1 Million yeast cells/ degree Plato. Also, the previous post is right, please check your mineral additions.

Fred

Comment

Any changes made recently as far as multi-brew CCT filling procedures? If so maybe during tank top-off the flashing off of CO2 during fermentation was scrubbing some of the SO2 out. Another thing I have experienced with SO2 variation in finished product is due to fermentation under pressure. Sometimes just a few psi can make a large impact on SO2 levels. Hope you succeed in getting your SO2 levels down.
                Mike Jordan
                Brewmaster
                Boxing Cat Brewery
                Shanghai, P.R. China
                michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Working...
                X