Antioxidants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antioxidants

Does anyone out there use antioxidants in the kettle? Do they really extend the shelf life and improve the quality of your beer?

Shoes

In there brewery I am at now we add an antioxidant to the DE tank while dosing. And it has really helped our self life.

Comment

i use antioxidants in my bright beer tank to good effect...u might want to try a mix of potassium meta bi sulphate and ascorbic acid (1:2) ratio dossage rates at apeox 2 to 3 gm / hl.

hope this helps

Comment

Hmm I can't imagine anyone using antioxidants in the kettle. What is the first thing you do when transferring to FV ? Yup you add oxygen, either as pure oxygen or as air. This can be added to the hot or cold wort, depending on your beer quality & micro. Happy as always to be corrected - but am really interseted in how, why, and what the perceived benefits are.

Sooo. Why do it then ? Post fermentation, post yeast removal, as indicated - yes, by all means do it. But then you have the hassle of registering an additive - not too clever if you pride yourself on Reinheitsgebot style brewing.
        dick

Comment

hmmmmm,

never thought of this one. is it to somehow reduce hot-side aeration? but shouldn't that be reduced by technique?

alex

Comment

Antioxidants

The only experience I have with antioxidants is in government tanks, filter beer tanks, brights or what ever you want to call them... You certainly want oxygen or...air (much less of a safety hazard) after the wort cooler. Why you mention the kettle I don't know? Potassium meta bi-sulphate (KMS) can be added to reduce oxidation in the brights after filtration but I don't endorse it.

If you do. please keep in mind that legally KMS levels must be kept below 10ppm or it will have to be included on the label as in wine "Contains sulfates". The reason for this is some people have some HUGE reactions to sulfides....esophigus swelling syptoms like PNEUMONIA! Unless you have an in house lab to analyize each bright to make sure levels are below 10ppm I would not recommend it. Good brewing practices in the cellars and a little yeast left in the bottle go a long way in lessening trans-2-naniol.

Comment

Working...
            X