Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume for CIP

I feel like this is a stupid question but:
    Is there a standard volume calculation for how much solution is used for cleaning or sanitizing with a CIP?
    For fermentors, mash tuns, boil kettles, etc?
    I've tended to go with a minimum in fermentors, just enough to circulate product, but in the brewhouse I've used quite a bit. Not sure if I am going over or under. Don't want to waste money, but don't want to do a poor job of cleaning or sanitizing.
    Br. Francis
    Birra Nursia
    Norcia, Italy

Rules of Thumb

Definitely not a stupid question!

The goal for CIP is to get the right combo of TACT: Time, scrubbing Action, Chemicals, and Temperature.

Time: Rinse until water is fairly clear, no more than a few minutes. Generally 20 min is a good start for caustic recirculation. Rinse until neutral pH. Sanitizing contact time and rinse procedures are set by the chemical manufacturer.

Action:

If you're adding a spray ball to a tank, a general rule of thumb is 3 Gallons/min per foot of vessel circumference. The spray ball manufacturer will have suggested pressure ranges for proper flow through the device. Spray nozzles are more effective with less time/volume, but they are cost-prohibitive to most breweries. All depends on how valuable the time saved.

More is not always better. High flow rates / pressure can cause uneven flow through the spray ball. Manually inspect the flow: it should be evenly spraying onto the entire surface and not 'misting' or streaking. Make sure the top of the vessel and all nozzles are being properly cleaned and rinsed.

In piping, you want at least 5 feet/second velocities to ensure proper cleaning. Calculate velocity by dividing the volumetric flow rate by the cross sectional area of the pipe:

1" SS sanitary tubing requires ~ 12 GPM
    2" SS sanitary tubing requires ~ 49 GPM
    3" SS sanitary tubing requires ~ 110 GPM

These are conservative numbers, but soil/scale associated with beer production often require intensive cleaning. Buildup is much more difficult to remove than fresh soil/scale. Better safe than dirty, eh?

Chemicals:

Work with your chemical suppliers on dosage. More is not always better. Make sure you're rinsing to neutral pH and mixing the solutions to the proper concentrations.

Temperature:

Generally set in combination with the chemical and dosing rate. I see no reason to run caustic higher than 160F (and usually 140F is hot enough). Pay attention to sanitizer solution temp. They often have a max. temp. that, when exceeded, denatures the product.

When buying new equipment, you want to ask these questions to your equipment vendor, especially if the vendor is supplying the CIP components (sprayball, nozzle, pumps, CIP skid, etc). If they can't tell you, then they haven't assured the CIP design is adequate.

Lots of good info here:
    Our complete technical library includes hundreds of catalogs, product bulletins, case studies, videos and white papers.

My apologies for the long-winded answer and imperial units. Shoot me a message if you have specific questions or are running into problems.
    Kyle Kohlmorgen
    Process/Automation Consultant
    St. Louis, MO

Comment

Working...
    X