TTB ABV testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TTB ABV testing

Has anyone ever had the TTB test the ABV or ABW of their beers?

I wouldn't do that.

Find a lab that tests beer, or maybe ask one of your favorite regionals to help out. If you mark the ABV as one thing, then volunteer to have TTB test it, and it is different, you're painting a target on yourself.

These services exist outside of the government. Pay for the confidentiality. Then fix you labels, processes, etc.

Good luck,
    Bill

Comment

That wasn't what I meant. I guess I should have been more specific... I meant, basically, has anyone had the TTB check up on them to determine if a certain product was within stated parameters after it has been released on the market. For instance, randomly coming into the brewery and taking samples, pulling a product from a retail shelf randomly to test, etc

Comment

They certainly reserve the right to do that at any time.

Comment

Certainly...

I think it's called a basket analysis. Looking for fill volumes and alcohol levels. It's usually not that big a deal. Unless you aren't doing something right... You should be fine with one.
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Yes, they did it during an audit. There are tolerances they can live with for abv and fill levels. Ideally they want a log of fill level tests you have performed in house every run or two, as well as a log of ABV testes you have had done. They are not out to make your life difficult, they really just want you to be on top of your operation.
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
            X