Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please look at my yeast pics and give me your views!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please look at my yeast pics and give me your views!

Our beers have suddenly developed a sharp astringent character and a very dry finish. This applies across the beer styles. We have made no changes to materials or process and so I suspected contamination either by bacteria or wild yeast. Microscope pics of the finished bottle-conditioned beer do not show any clear evidence of bacteria although some of the yeast morphology is a bit strange to my uneducated eyes. Can anyone help?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IPA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	193492Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Ale.jpg
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	193493Click image for larger version

Name:	Pilsner.jpg
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	193494

That middle picture with the elongated cells connected head to tail look like wild yeast. I've only seen Brett cells look like that from my limited experience.

Comment

Agreed. I've only seen that structure in Brett. It's similar to hyphae you might see in mold. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphae
      Last edited by WoodlandBrew; 09-07-2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I thought so too. But where is the Brett in the other 2 beers?
        The beer with the Brett-like structures is actually quite pleasant to drink, but all the beers show the same fault.
        Whatever it is, I hope the 4 days of brewery cleaning and replacing anything suspect will solve the problem.

Comment

Very small levels of infection can present themselves in a beer and create massive off flavors. Microscope evaluation will only catch absurd levels of wild yeast/bacteria. More than once Ive looked at wild fermented beer and only seen beautiful round structures, no lacto, pedio, brett, anyting out of the ordinary in extremely acidic, funky beer.

Grab some pre-made plates and plate the beer if you must know, or assume infection and hunt the source.

Comment

Originally posted by Inthelab View Post
            Very small levels of infection can present themselves in a beer and create massive off flavors. Microscope evaluation will only catch absurd levels of wild yeast/bacteria. More than once Ive looked at wild fermented beer and only seen beautiful round structures, no lacto, pedio, brett, anyting out of the ordinary in extremely acidic, funky beer.

Grab some pre-made plates and plate the beer if you must know, or assume infection and hunt the source.
            Yes, thanks! That is sensible advice

Comment

Working...
            X