Hop "dam" for kettle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hop "dam" for kettle?

Been having discussions w/ our brewhouse manufacturer but wanted to see if you guys had any other clever ideas. Our kettle bottom is concave and as I'm sure is quite common, we whirlpool then knock-out through the side drain to keep the trub cone in the middle. Only problem is a few of our beers have pretty large hop loads, and as the wort gets closer to the drain it eventually starts to vortex and begins pulling some trub away from the cone. We've been slowing the pump a bit and that helps, but we're still forced to leave more wort behind and pulling more trub through the HX than I would like.

What do you guys do to prevent this? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated if it isn't too much trouble.

We had a similar issue with our kettle, which is sloped toward a side drain. We ended up purchasing a racking arm from Glacier Tanks (not the manufacturer of our kettle) and bending it slightly so it would fit through our port. The top of the racking arm sticks up enough that we can pull much more clear wort than we could before. It was a cheap and easy solution that didn't require modifying the kettle. The only downside is that you end up with some liquid left in the kettle prior to cleaning that has to be drained by removing the racking arm, which makes a bit of a mess.

I think the picture will probably clarify this even more. It's a 1" pipe sticking out of a 3" port.
    Attached Files
    Steve Sanderson
    RiverWalk Brewing Co.
    Newburyport, MA

Comment

Working...
    X