View Full Version : Building requirements for nano-brewery

06-27-2012, 07:49 AM

I am seeking information on where to find facility requirements for a nano-brewery start-up in Washington State. This will be ran as a home occupancy in accessory building. I have searched the TTB website and have not been able to locate the information I am seeking.

Basically, if you were to build a very small building from scratch to accommodate a nano-brewery, what are the requirements to make it comply and pass the requirements to become a brewery. Things such as requirements for sinks, drains, chemical storage, grain storage, etc..

Any links would be appreciated. I have contacted WSLCB and was informed TTB would be the one making all the approvals on this. It this information correct?

06-27-2012, 08:16 AM
I would say generally you want to start at the city level and make sure your zoning is good. Without that, you're hosed. You do have the added complication in that you are trying to do this in a residential area. I assume this because you are trying to go the home occupation route.

All the TTB cares about is protection of revenue so you must have a separate permitted structure that is not connected to your home in order to do that. I know that people have certainly done it otherwise, but this is what you'll be told by the TTB. Give them a call. They are really good about giving information.

For sinks, grain and chemical storage, I believe that's going to be all county health and environmental departments. You should be able to get you state health code off their website and design according to food preparation. But, you should call them as well and make sure they would sign off on using a residential building for that.

I think the biggest issue you'll have is your city and zoning. If you are zoned agricultural and live out away from everyone, you might be okay. However, my city considers brewing a manufacturing business (which it is) and does not allow that in my area so I had to find a small warehouse.

Nanobreweries in or next to a home have been done, there are just more hoops to jump through.


06-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the quick reply,

I have already been approved by local government for home occupancy. Fortunately for me, I don't live inside the City so I was able to be approved by our County. I will be constructing a "beer accessory building" and am seeking information on planning the design. I am fortunate to have family involved in construction but need to provide them with the "rules" if you will.

Since a home occupancy for a micro-brewery isn't a normal business concept, I am having some difficulty finding who regulates this building. Planning department just treats it as an accessory building, as long as permits fees are paid and inspections are done.

I will contact local health officials and see what they tell me.

06-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Cool, sounds like the hardest part is over with the zoning. Be sure to contact the TTB early as well so help grease those skids.

As far as the health department, I would think you would have to build it in accordance with a general food prep facility, but the county would best answer that.

Good luck!

06-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the information, Nick. I've been following your blog as well. Good stuff.