Dry-Hopping with Wet (Fresh) Hops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry-Hopping with Wet (Fresh) Hops

I will be getting some wet hops next week and am probably going to use them to dry-hop a few beers. I would like to brew with them instead, but I don't think my brew schedule will cooperate.

I typically prefer short contact times with dry-hops after removing yeast, and I usually sit on pellet dry hops for 3-4 days and whole leaf for 5 days. I'm not a fan of the grassy, vegetal and resinous flavor some brewers love, so I would really like to avoid over extraction. Still, I imagine that I may need longer contact times with wet hops. How long are other brewers dry-hopping with wet hops, and what quantity are they using? Any techniques or advice anyone is willing to share is very much appreciated.

Also, I will be using these hops for beers that have Brettanomyces. Does anyone here have knowledge of the aging potential (or lack thereof) for Brett beers dry-hopped with wet hops? Any idea how the Beta-Glucosidase activity of my Brett strains will react with the glycosides in wet hops compared to dried hops? Again, any advice is appreciated!
Working...
X