Kettle CIP Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kettle CIP Leak

We have a direct fire kettle from Portland Kettle Works (PKW). The position of the spray ball is in a spot that the upward spray of the ball sprays directly up into the exhaust. The problem with this is that caustic or acid drains though the exhaust condensate drain and all over our floor.

I've tried running it as slow as possible, which minimizes leaking, but the resulting pressure is not adequate to clean the sides. It's more of a splash and trickle down the kettle walls. We've just been climbing in the kettle and cleaning manually every week which is starting to get very tiresome. I've tried 3 different length spray balls and they all do the same thing.

Is this a common issue with the CIP in kettles?
    Last edited by d_striker; 09-14-2014, 02:57 PM.

Our condensate ring has a ball valve inline. We close ball valve during cip.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooh View Post
      Our condensate ring has a ball valve inline. We close ball valve during cip.
      That makes sense. Would be nice to have one.

Comment

If your condensate trap is anything like ours, closing a valve would just cause the trap to overflow on the outside of the kettle. How about using some tubing to plumb the trap into your drain system? This is what I've done to keep the condensate from dripping onto people working below the kettle (ouch).
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
          If your condensate trap is anything like ours, closing a valve would just cause the trap to overflow on the outside of the kettle. How about using some tubing to plumb the trap into your drain system? This is what I've done to keep the condensate from dripping onto people working below the kettle (ouch).
          I've thought about that but there isn't a lot of clearance from the ground to the bottom of the drain. Even if I was able to slip some tubing on, it would get pinched closed. Not enough clearance to slip a pex type elbow on either.

Ours is designed such that if the hole were plugged, it would just overflow back into the kettle.
          Last edited by d_striker; 09-15-2014, 06:35 PM.

Comment

If your condensate trap will overflow into the kettle, and you do end up using a ball valve during CIP, I'd recommend that you remove the handle with the valve open afterwards. Condensate in the kettle is not good.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Can you slide anything under the condensate drain? Like a water heater drip pan? Those are pretty low profile. If you can, try adding a fitting to that and running a hose to the drain.

I have pretty low clearance on mine, but a hose does fit without crimping shut.

Comment

What about a rubber stopper in the drain hole in the condensate ring? Put the stopper in, CIP, pull the stopper out. Otherwise we have found a green scrubby works well once a week with a good spray down between every brew. Not very satisfied with CIP on the kettle thus far; caustic, acid, PBW, etc...not doing the trick as good as a scrubby.
                First time, Long time.
                Matchless Brewing
                Three Magnets Brewing
                Olympia WA

Comment

Working...
                X