Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with sizing a plate chiller

Hi all,

We're starting a 1.5bbl brewery with a 3bbl cellar. I'm wondering what size plate chiller/ gpm efficiency I should be looking for? Any recommendations on manufacturers would be great too!

Thanks!

We use a 60 plate chiller from Duda Diesel for our 2 bbl. Gets down to 68 with ground water in about 10 minutes

Comment

It is always better to oversize your HX.

Comment

Whitewall, what is your average ground water temperature?

Comment

Ya know I've never measured it. Were in Washington so I assume it stays fairly mild. 60 in the summer probably.

Comment

Duda Diesel will do the calculation for you if you have your water temperature
            Prost!
            Eric Brandjes
            Cole Street Brewery
            Enumclaw, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Brandjes View Post
              Duda Diesel will do the calculation for you if you have your water temperature
              I was going to say that! Well, I'll still toss out the link:

Comment

Your water temp is going to be the big difference at this scale. I've got a 60 plate Duda and a Blichmann Therminator and the difference between them is a degree or 2 at the most. We're in Seattle, so our water is all surface water from the Cedar River watershed. It can come in at 45 in the dead of winter or as high as 74 in the summer. Once your ground water goes above your desired pitching temp, you need to start to think about pre-chilling. That is, assuming that you lack an efficient way to reduce the temp in your fermenter.

Comment

Working...
                X