Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

using LME for first time anything I should know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using LME for first time anything I should know?

I am making an Imperial Cinnamon Hefe next week and in order to get my OG up and not overload my mash tun I decided to use a Liquid malt extract
    anything I should know about using this before I just jump in

Cheers
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

Originally posted by beerguy1 View Post
    I am making an Imperial Cinnamon Hefe next week and in order to get my OG up and not overload my mash tun I decided to use a Liquid malt extract
    anything I should know about using this before I just jump in

Cheers
    We hit boil, kill the heat, add and whirlpool to mix, then turn the heat back on to get it back to a boil before hopping. mixing time will depend on you setup.

Comment

Anytime I am dealing with bulk extracts commercially I try to lay down a bunch of cardboard or something. Invariably, no matter how careful you are, you spill some and if you can just haul some sticky cardboard to the dumpster, rather than mopping up a sticky mess, it makes for a happier brew day!

Comment

How did it go?

What dosing rate of LME to BBL were you using to get gravity up?

Comment

We've had scorching issues when using adjunct sugars for high gravity beers in the past. Mostly with DME, but also Honey and LME. The problem is that it tends to deep six right down to the bottom of the kettle, where a little bit sticks, then a lot of it sticks to that. So now, we use our hopback as a grant of sorts. Run wort into it during the boil. Mix in adjunct well. Pump back up into kettle. Easy peasy. And you don't have to stand over a boiling kettle pouring 60lb buckets of honey in.
          Russell Everett
          Co-Founder / Head Brewer
          Bainbridge Island Brewing
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Working...
          X