Adding Fermcap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Fermcap

We're trying to determine best practices to adding Fermcap to wort in a FV so that we can avoid excess blowoff as well as trying to preserve hop/foam volatiles etc. In the past we'd just add it straight to the top port of the FV right after 2nd knockout...but that involves opening a sealed/sanitary environment, possibly adding bugs in the Fermcap itself etc etc. So we've been trying to get away from it.

The other method we've tried is adding the same amount straight to the whirlpool of a one of the two turns. So far it's produced inconsistent results...and unless I'm crazy it also seems like the Fermcap loosens the trub cone so that we might be sucking in additional trub into our FV when we pump out.

Any thoughts?

Add it during the transfer...

If you add Fermcap during the transfer with the CIP valve closed, you will have gas leaving the fermenter through the top port. This positive pressure should keep out bugs. Unless you're doing something vile to your Fermcap, you should not have bugs in this product. I've never had a problem with Fermcap or any other silicone product changing the characteristics of the whirlpool trub. Best of luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I use it on all my beers. I put it in as the "foam" starts to rise on the boiling wort. I used to mix it with water and then dumped it in now I just pour it in straight. I still have to throttle down my steam as it will get way too much of a violent boil and boil over but I can get a nice rolling boil with no fear of spewing out the top of the kettle. Obviously the temp sanitizes it and I get much less beer coming out of the CO2 arm.

Still great fermentations with no problems
      Mike Eme
      Brewmaster

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
        If you add Fermcap during the transfer with the CIP valve closed, you will have gas leaving the fermenter through the top port. This positive pressure should keep out bugs. Unless you're doing something vile to your Fermcap, you should not have bugs in this product. I've never had a problem with Fermcap or any other silicone product changing the characteristics of the whirlpool trub. Best of luck!
        ^ this. We also spray down the port with isopropyl alcohol and wear gloves.
        ________
        Cheers,

David Rodriguez
        Assistant Brewer/Head Cellerman
        Wynwood Brewing Company
        565 NW 24th St
        Miami, FL 33127

www.wynwoodbrewing.com
        David@wynwoodbrewing.com
        Cell: (954) 471-6588

Comment

As I've understood it, any additions of Fermcap to the kettle settle out rapidly without a rolling boil. Therefore, any kettle additions will NOT make it over to the FV. My experience is, this is correct. So, whenever I've needed to add Fermcap to a beer at high krausen, I add it via the racking arm.

I use a 90* elbow.
          Sanitize the mouth of the racking arm.
          connect a sanitized sight glass to arm, attach elbow, and face it straight up.
          Completely fill elbow with no-rinse sanitizing solution and allow to set for a few mins.
          Loosen elbow, rotate to dump solution, then stand it back up straight and tighten.
          Add appropriate amount of fermcap to elbow.
          Attach a sanitized ball valve with CO2 connection.
          Apply a few lbs of pressure.
          Open racking arm to blow fermcap in.

I'll allow the fermenting wort to fill the elbow and blow that back in to rinse it all out.

Allow 10 mins to see if blow off stops; repeat if necessary.
          Joe Kearns
          Brewmaster
          The White Hag Brewing Co.
          Sligo, Ireland

Comment

Working...
          X