Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SABCO 2BBL Nano Brewery - anyone using one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SABCO 2BBL Nano Brewery - anyone using one?

My business partner and I are in the process of opening a brewery here in SE Michigan and have looked at the SABCO 2bbl Nano system and a 7bbl system for our initial brew pub system. For our two potential investors I am creating price breakdowns for both of these options to create a business case. Each have their trade offs as the nano 2bbl system will require less footprint, cheaper, BUT allot more brewing (per day) to keep up with future demand. The 7BBL is more expensive, but will require less time brewing.

My question is has anyone used or is using this SABCO system? or have heard reviews? I did some research on it and noticed that Sam from Dog Fish Head replaced his 6bbl brew pub with this nano system and has been able to keep up with his demand using this smaller system because of its high process efficiency (time). SABCO claims you can produce 2,000 to 3,000 bbl per year on the system, but of course i am assuming that is based on brewing multiple times per day and having capacity of multiple fermenters and brite tanks.

I've talked with Bob CEO of SABCO via email on his machine and my major concern was that to yield 2bbl of beer into your brite tank the highest ABV you can brew is at around 5%. voicing my concern on that we would also like to brew some larger beers and he said they could increase the mash tun and boil kettle volume from 80 to 100 gallons. With that volume increase I am definitely keeping this nano system in my business case, but have not heard any feedback from anyone in the industry that uses this system. If anyone has any feed back on the SABCO nano brewery that they could share it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Cost?

How much is the current price tag for the Sabco 2bbl? And what type/cost 7bbl system are you guys looking at? I seen breweries put together a 5bbl to 7bbl "Frankenbrewery" for the cost of Sabcos little ten gallon system with all the works. Regardless, go 7bbl. From a hombrewing perspective a 7bbl batch seems huge but in a commerical setting approx. 200 gallons of finished beer can go fast, and sometimes TOO fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Catfish002 View Post
      How much is the current price tag for the Sabco 2bbl? And what type/cost 7bbl system are you guys looking at? I seen breweries put together a 5bbl to 7bbl "Frankenbrewery" for the cost of Sabcos little ten gallon system with all the works. Regardless, go 7bbl. From a hombrewing perspective a 7bbl batch seems huge but in a commerical setting approx. 200 gallons of finished beer can go fast, and sometimes TOO fast.
      I just received back my quote from SABCO for the 2bbl system - $54,980. This includes Mash and Boil Kettle (100 gallons each), 150 gallon HLT, Mechanical system package (pumps, thermocouples hoses, etc), their PLC electronic controls and all valve connections. Their 60kW electric boiler is $7995 and plate and frame wort chiller $1,995. I also had them quote with 6 unitank fermenters and bright tanks (w/ carbonation stones).

Adding everything above the out the door quote is $188,254.

I am still waiting on a quote from GW Kent on a 7bbl system. Once i have this I am going to make a business case for each. I will have to go through and caluclate my variable cost for each when using electricity, gas, water etc per bbl of beer.

I guess with that said what is my best bang for my buck when looking at boilers for a 7bbl system? steam or gas? and if steam powered by eletric or natural gas?

Cheers

Rob

Comment

$188k for a 2bbl system with cellar is absolutely insane. I built my 9bbl system for under $10k, add in 20bbl fermenters for $11k each. We have capacity for 2000bbl/yr for less than 60k in the brewhouse/cellar.

Comment

188K for a 2bbl is nuts!

OMG! 188K for a little 2bbl set up is totally freakin' nuts! I highly recommend you read "Brewery Operations Manual" by Tom Hennessy before you do anything else. This book will show you how to put together a complete 7bbl brewery/business for WAY less than what you guys are currently looking at. Here's a link http://www.lulu.com/shop/tom-henness...-20402206.html

For 188K you could possibly have everything: a fully set up 7bbl frankenbrew system, complete cellar, complete build out, all your brewery and business equipment, bar/tabletops for a taproom, etc. etc. etc. Just read the above book and you may totally rethink your business model and start up costs.

And for the love of all things beer, please don't drop that amount of cash on a 2bbl system! If you are dead set on going nano with a 2bbl set up just look at the cost difference of going this route instead: http://www.bubbasbarrels.com/catalog...ttles/2-barrel
          Last edited by Catfish002; 10-21-2014, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SMiller View Post
            $188k for a 2bbl system with cellar is absolutely insane. I built my 9bbl system for under $10k, add in 20bbl fermenters for $11k each. We have capacity for 2000bbl/yr for less than 60k in the brewhouse/cellar.
            How many 9 and how many 20bbl fermenters do you run? I assume you are using the same amount of brite tanks too?

Comment

We paid less for a brand new ten barrel system with 8 serving tanks, 4 fermentors, and all the hoses etc... Keep looking. If you are going to spend that kind of money, you have to be able to recoup it in a reasonable amount of time, and cost. You will spend five times the time to brew what a ten barrel system will get you, and make nowhere near the income.

Comment

Possibly due to posting on Probrewer my email received a solicitation form a brewery system manufacturer in China, the home of ALL stainless steel manufacturing. For curiosity sake after receiving several emails I agreed to receive a price quote for both a 3 bbl and a 7 bbl system with 4 ferms and 4 brites respectively, steam, glycol the works! The 3 bbl system is $40k with shipping, the 7 bbl is $70k with shipping.

I am a big fan of Sabco's quality and I own the BM system and could not be more pleased. However those prices for the 2BBL sound very high!

Comment

Working...
                X