Mush Tun question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mush Tun question

Hello Probrewer guru's....I have searched till my eyes crossed and I am having trouble finding the information and I swear i have read it here before. I am looking for info on sizing a mash tun. We are begining to collect the equipment for a 7 bbl system and we are going the frankenbrew way. I want size a horizontal dairy tank that is appropriate for the 7 bbl nominal tank size. I am thinking 300 - 350 gallon tank. If there is a thread with the info in it please point the way. Thanks I have learned tons (no pun intended) from the forums here. Thanks.

-Bill Walden
    Oddball Brewing Co.
    Pembroke NH
    Bill Walden
    Oddball Brewing Co.
    Suncook, NH

Originally posted by bwalden234 View Post
    Hello Probrewer guru's....I have searched till my eyes crossed and I am having trouble finding the information and I swear i have read it here before. I am looking for info on sizing a mash tun. We are begining to collect the equipment for a 7 bbl system and we are going the frankenbrew way. I want size a horizontal dairy tank that is appropriate for the 7 bbl nominal tank size. I am thinking 300 - 350 gallon tank. If there is a thread with the info in it please point the way. Thanks I have learned tons (no pun intended) from the forums here. Thanks.

-Bill Walden
    Oddball Brewing Co.
    Pembroke NH
    The better way to approach it would be to figure out your max grain usage in a batch and work back from there. 7 BBL 6% beer would need 500ish # grain. That would take up maybe 250 gallons of space. (little less actually) so your plan should let you do just about everything but barley wines.

Comment

Thanks....

Thanks, I started to look at our biggest recipe and tried back tracking, but I was having trouble figuring the space per pound of grain. I figured that a 300 gallon horizontal dairy tank was pretty close to what we needed. Barley wines aren't in the plan right off but we also don't want to limit our selves if we can make that change now rather than later.

So using the ratio you gave, I am looking at about 600 pounds of grain in a 300 gallon tank. Does that seem right? Thanks for the help, for some reason I am having trouble wrapping my head around this particular problem. I think I am hypo caffeinated
      Bill Walden
      Oddball Brewing Co.
      Suncook, NH

Comment

Originally posted by bwalden234 View Post
        Thanks, I started to look at our biggest recipe and tried back tracking, but I was having trouble figuring the space per pound of grain. I figured that a 300 gallon horizontal dairy tank was pretty close to what we needed. Barley wines aren't in the plan right off but we also don't want to limit our selves if we can make that change now rather than later.

So using the ratio you gave, I am looking at about 600 pounds of grain in a 300 gallon tank. Does that seem right? Thanks for the help, for some reason I am having trouble wrapping my head around this particular problem. I think I am hypo caffeinated
        I seem to recall grain being 1.25 Qt to a pound, but I don't have a good source.

As far as my own estimations,
        I do know that a 50# bag of grain fits into about 2x5 gal LME buckets. That's 5 lbs/gal. Brewed with a local brewery that used a scale and a homebrew bucket to measure out partial bags. I seem to recall that capping out at 20 something lbs as well. The 1.25 qts for a pound seems in line with a little extra space to work with.

Comment

Dairy Tank Mash Tun

Hello I have built many brew systems using horizontal dairy tanks as the mash tun. Here are my simple notes of maxing out each of them:

180 Gallon Tank: 462 lbs grain +120 gallons of 174*F water = 154*F at 1 hour during vorlauf = 6 Bbl 17*P
          240 Gallon Tank: 682 lbs grain + 168 gallons of 160*F water = 150* F at 1 hour during vorlauf = 7 Bbl 20.2 *P

3.8 lbs to 1 gallon of strike water

Always preheat mash tun with 30 gallons of strike water rest for 10 minutes. Not certain why mash temps were so different on the two batches with strike temps 10 degrees difference but that's what it was.

Brewed on a vertical JVNW mash tun that was 300 gross volume to bottom of manway and regularly put in 800 lbs and got 18*P at 9 Bbl.

Hope this helps

Dean Rouleau
          Prodigy Brewing Company

Comment

we are in the process of a 7 bbl frankenbrew system as well, we managed to pick up a 270 gallon round dairy tank and it should do the job just fine.

Comment

A 270 gallon tank will cap you around an 8% beer I believe. I started that route and it worked. Get ready to paddle and shovel your asses off though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tanks....

So far we have found 2 - 250 gallon vertical tanks (kettle and HLT) and a 400 gallon horizontal dairy tank (mash tun).
                Bill Walden
                Oddball Brewing Co.
                Suncook, NH

Comment

Working...
                X