Moving LME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving LME

I'm looking at tring to go from ordering 5 Gal pails of LME to 55 Gal drums. However, I'm not sure what I would need to dispense the LME for use. Would a standard hand pump for the barrel work or would the syrup be too thick for that to be practical?

Will you be getting steel or plastic drums? I have only ever dealt with steel. We built a rolling dolly that would hold the barrel on it's side, tilted slightly to one end to allow the syrup to flow easier. Used a hoist to get the thing on there in the first place. We just put a bucket under the hole, open the plug and let it drain to the desired level, reinsert plug. It flows slowly enough that, surprisingly, the mess is very minimal.

Comment

I worked in a home brew shop many, many moons ago and we sold a LOT of bulk malt extract syrup.

The best way of dispensing it that we found was with a drum faucet.

Item "B" in the first entry here:

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

With the barrel on a drum cart like "E" here:

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

(Cant seem to make that link work, but just look up "Drum Trucks/Dispensing Stands")

Use lots and lots of FOOD GRADE silicone spray between uses, and a good hot soak followed by a thorough drying between drums. Otherwise it can solidify into a sticky mess...

Cheers- Mike

Comment

They are very likely to be plastic. I think that's the primary thing Breiss uses which would likely be who we would be getting product from.

Comment

Working...
        X