Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to look for in sample pulled before 2-row delivery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for in sample pulled before 2-row delivery?

Before we accept our 2-row delivery, we are always handed a 1/2 lb bag pulled from the truck to show us what we are recieving.
    What do you guys normally look for in these samples?
    Are there any tests you run before you accept your shipments?

Cheers.

Originally posted by dbbluest View Post
    Before we accept our 2-row delivery, we are always handed a 1/2 lb bag pulled from the truck to show us what we are recieving.
    What do you guys normally look for in these samples?
    Are there any tests you run before you accept your shipments?

Cheers.
    I'd say moisture, odor, discoloration, any other signs of spoilage or improper storage.

Ultimately, you know what grain should look/smell/feel/taste like. If any of those things are off, I'd think about rejecting the order.

Comment

And if you have a grain cutter, are the grains evenly germinated / kilned. Chewing a few grains is always a good test, getting to know how hard they are to chew, the flavour, and how evenly they crush.

Foreign grains, weevils, beetles - all should be absent. No visible stones or straw
      dick

Comment

"Foreign grains, weevils, beetles - all should be absent. No visible stones or straw."

Being a very small brewer, I directly handle the grains we crush one scoop at a time. Rocks and dirt clods are common in our American sourced base malts, straw and other plant matter is more common in malt from overseas. Tomas Fawcett in particular seems to have a high number of snail shells in it's MO. Not to the point that I think it impacts flavor or yield, but 2 or 3 per sack isn't uncommon.

I'm not sure I'd turn away a shipment if I found one or two of those, but it would be smart to note the lot numbers or anything else in case it was a larger problem than the sample lets on.

Peter
        Populuxe Brewing

Comment

Snail shells??!! A few local micros use Fawcetts. admittedly pre-ground, but I've never seen or heard of this. My immediate thought is it is due to relatively long shipping times and possibly some damp early on during transport encouraging the "infestation". Ah well, I supposed it adds a bit of calcium.
          dick

Comment

Working...
          X