Perspective on China vs. USA sources brewhouses and other brewery equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perspective on China vs. USA sources brewhouses and other brewery equipment

I am looking for educated opinions from NON-MANUFACTURERS on this subject (I have plenty of opinions from many manufacturers at this point... now I want personal opinions and perspectives from the individual members of this forum).

We are a brewery-in-planning, currently pricing our equipment options from many various vendors, including both USA, China and Canada. Obviously the mfgs have strong opinions about why USA products are superior and worth the extra cost, compared with China, and even compared to those from Canada.

Please provide me your thoughts on the quality of China equipment vs. USA sourced and built. The Chinese equipment if definitely more attractive, especially for a start-up... but given that I would like to have this inital brewhouse (I am looking at 15bbl and 20bbl systems) last me ideally 6-10 years, I don't want to save 30% going with Chinese, but then have to replace the entire system several years sooner than had I stuck with a USA manufactrer.

Does the community feel like the improved build-quality and benefits outweigh the incremental cost of US vs. China, or am I just being fed typical marketing hype from the Sales folks?

Also, if you have direct experience with certain manufacturers and would like to offer me an endorsement or warning about any specific vendor... please let me know! (private message me with that, if you feel more comfortable that way).

Many thanks in advance for your perspective!

-Brian Blackburn

Please see my comments about two specific suppliers elsewhere in this section, and the one about a two stage PHE. However, I have seen some Lehui stuff and that was generally pretty good, though I question one or two minor design details. Nut they supply large scale kit to major brewing companies, and possibly know how to source better grade stainless.

OK, problems not mentioned in my other missives

Rusting so called stainless steel

Very thin metal work to save costs

awful welding

Lack of supplier response to queries

Lack of spares sent with the kit

Unhygienic design

Lack of detailed drawings & specifications

If you do go down that route, get someone who understands welding, brewery design, operation and cleaning to review detailed designs with you and go out to China to review the kit before you get it shipped.

Watch their contracts - don't accept their contracts as a smaller company is likely to be "give us the money and we will give you some kit. It will sort of work, but we bear no responsibility for it working properly" and any disputes will be settled under Chinese law, i.e. in their favour.

Go through a factor who will hold back a substantial proportion until you have signed off what you asked for DO NOT PAY ALL UPFRONT as they may well require.

You might think I am against small Chinese suppliers, and based on recent experience you would be dead right. Pay the extra for decent home supplied kit and support, skimp on the number of vessels at first until you have built ups sales and have a bit of cash flow to warrant and jsutify additional capital.

Good luck
    dick

Comment

We have had brewery equipment fabricated by DCI and JVNW, both located in the US. We worked intimately with the engineers and fabbers throughout the design and installation process. One fermenter had a door frame that was not planar, and the door would not seal. DCI sent out a crew who cut out the old door frame and replaced it. Everything is very well made and finished. A fine interior finish is essential to easy and effective CIP. You'll never get pitted, rough welds completely clean, even with scrubbing and gallons of elbow grease. We passivate our equipment when we bring it online, and have had no problems with rust or pitting.

When we buy US made 316L or 304L, we get what we paid for.

I have no experience with Chinese manufactured brewery equipment. I have quite a bit of experience with US made equipment, including resale--which is definitely a plus. We've had only a few problems, which, when not our fault, were dealt with quickly and efficiently. I'd do business with the two fabbers listed above any day, and I'm sure there are dozens more like them.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
      X