Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auger problems

My set up is as follows...

A roller mill with a 45degree unloader boot, attached to a 20 foot rigid auger with a simple tube clamp. The auger is inside a 4" galvanized tube, with the motor mounted to the top on a braket. The motor drives the auger shaft by a belt drive system. The 4" tube is suspended in the air by two chains attached to the motor mount and with two floor mounted brakets at 3' and 8'.

When i turn on the motor it emmediatley begins to vibrate and eventually becomes violent at which point i need to turn it off.

Is this a common problem that can be solved with additional supports or does it seem like the auger is possible bent? It is clearly scrapping the inside of the pipe, but i assume this is neccesary for the transfering of grain.

any insight would be appreciated, i really need to get this under control as soon as possible.
    Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
    Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
    Elmsford, NY
    www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

Auger

Are you running the auger dry?

Comment

Not to insult your intelligence, Scott, but is the auger turning in the right direction. Our auger motors are 220v and the electrician consitantly wired them both backwards. I found this out "the hard way".

If they are showing the proper discharge direction, try running some grain. Like marcuscox said, a little grain may smooth things out. It did ours.

Comment

Your auger should not be violent, grain or not. If the auger is a spring type, you will need to put the correct amount of tension on it. Contact the manufacturer to find the amount of spring to cut and ask them what to do.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

To answer a few questions - yes i have been running the auger dry. I checked the directional rotation when it was first wired, but i will check it again. It appeared to be moving in the right direction.

I did run the mill breifly and got about 15 pounds of malt through it and into the auger before I had to turn it off due to the shaking. I have turned the auger back on a few times for "extended" periods of time and the grain has yet to make it to the top. Maybe 15 pounds is not enough for the auger to catch, or maybe i have the rotation backwards.

I will report back after a few adjustments.

thanks for the replies

Scott
          Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
          Elmsford, NY

Comment

In my experience these types of augers have a hanger bearing and joint every ten feet. The bearing is just a teflon sleeve, it's probably worn out or missing. I'm guessing that this auger was used for something else before? I don't think these types of augers are good for transporting crushed grain. Too much grain remains in the auger, it will never completely empty. And unlike a spring type flex auger, I don't think these types of augers are supposed to scrape the bottom of the trough.
            Linus Hall
            Yazoo Brewing
            Nashville, TN
            www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

You are correct with the auger leaving some grain inside, however the manufacturer assures me that the auger should have some degree od scraping in order to transport the grain.

After suring up the auger and running some grain through it it "smoothed" out a ton and is no longer un usable. It has become much quieter and is running properly.

Thanks for all the replies I can finally move the grain around the brewery.

Scott
              Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
              Elmsford, NY

Comment

Working...
              X