increasing esters in beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• increasing esters in beer

We have moved most of the production of our biggest seller, an American pale ale, to our 30 and 40 bbl tanks, which take three and four batches to fill. I've noticed differences in the final beer between our 10 bbl unitanks and these multiple batch-sized tanks. For one thing, the final gravity is about 0.5 plato lower in the bigger batches. Also, the larger batches don't seem to have the same ester profile - our english ale yeast developes a nice apricot, lemony ester in the 10 bbl batches that seems subdued in the bigger 30 and 40 bbl batches.

What are some good ways to manipulate the fermentation to get the same ester profile? I am thinking of trying to change temperatures, oxygen content, and pitching rates. We ferment at the same temperatures, and pitch the same proportion of yeast per barrel. We only apply oxyegen on the first two batches during the first 12 hours, not on the next one or two batches that finish filling the tank the next day.

Cheers,
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

hi,

sounds like you have some experimenting to do - don't know how exact you will get the beers when you are filling over two days.

are you pitching every brew, or only the first two? and if only pitching the first two, are you pitching the correct amount for all four?

this may take a while to work out, my advice would be to only change things one at a time and see the result. maybe start with pitching rates (reduce them) and see what happens.

interesting brewing problem.........

alex

Comment

the single biggest factor effecting ester production (of which there are a ton) is temperature.

remember that the bigger FV leads to lower ester production due to its designn (better convection....ands tons of other reasons). Try bumping the temp a couple of degrees and see what you get.

BTW which yeast?
      Larry Horwitz

Comment

Hey,

I had a similar problem with a wheat recipe that I had to adapt to bigger fermenters (from 7bbl to 25bbl) the two things that had the most desired effect were actually pitching a little more yeast to try and give a very active primary fermentation (it is my understanding that when the yeast are chomping away very quickly and vigorously during the primary that they produce more esters then they otherwise would). In addition to a bit more yeast per batch I raised the temp up a few degrees as Larry mentioned to try and get the yeast working hard and fast.

Hope my inexperience helps ;-)

Cheers,

Andy

Comment

Working...
        X