Lemongrass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lemongrass

HI, I have been making 3.5bbls batches using fresh Lemongrass. We will start 30bbl batches soon and would like feed back if you have used the dried LG available through the wholesalers. The amount of fresh LG and its chopping will be a lot of work.
    Thanks,
    Ken

Monterey Bay spice company is the best when it comes to most things spice related. I haven't used them for lemon grass but they are my first go to for both normal or obscure spices.

Purchase organic lemongrass from your trusted spice and herb supplier Monterey Bay Herb Co. Perfect for creating medicinal teas to help with nausea and stomach pain.

Comment

I have not used lemongrass in brewing, but use it often in cooking and generally find the dried gives a much more muted flavor. Fresh lemongrass is a pain to buy and store (slimy grocery store lemongrass - yuck!) and I have found a crushed paste/puree sold in tubes to be a great way to buy it for home cooking. The brand I get is called "Gourmet Garden." It's sold in little tubes at my market, but you may try contacting them to see if they wholesale larger amounts.

I just looked at their website and it looks like they do, indeed do bulk lemongrass. Might be worth a try:

<http://www.gourmetgarden.com/en-us/format-varieties>

Cheers- Mike

Comment

I only use fresh lemongrass but, with that said using fresh anything can vary from plant to plant. I use 3# in a 15 bbl batch and like what I got. It doesnt have a ton of aroma so I always use lemon zest to get a more crisp aroma
        Mike Eme
        Brewmaster

Comment

Originally posted by beerguy1 View Post
          I only use fresh lemongrass but, with that said using fresh anything can vary from plant to plant. I use 3# in a 15 bbl batch and like what I got. It doesnt have a ton of aroma so I always use lemon zest to get a more crisp aroma
          Thanks beerguy1, I will give the dried a shot. Thanks for the lemon zest idea. Will use it if needed.

Comment

I love the taste, but I have to say it fades very quickly, dried or fresh

Comment

Working...
            X