Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermentis S-23

Hello Probrewer,

Just want to throw out a questions and start a general discussion. We have been using Fermentis S-23 for several lagers and have tried to get it to floc clear in a reasonable amount of time. Brewing an all malt wort and pitching the recommended rate, fermenting in the mid temp of the recommended range. When the beer approaches terminal we let the temp free rise for a d rest for 4 days after terminal. Crash very cold and age. Though the lagering temp is much colder than a traditional lager temp (around 38f) the beer ends up very nice and am totally happy with the flavor profile. The only issue is without filtration it takes about 60 days of cold conditioning to totally drop clear. The question is: does anyone have experience with this yeast, wondering if a more traditional lager brewing profile produces a floc sooner than my process. Like would lagering in the more traditional temp range of say 40f for a time and then crashing very cold after that. Since this higher lagering temp would allow degradation of the cell membrane and allow the release of amino acids, glycerol and many other compounds, does this have an affect on floc? Just wondering about other peoples experience with this yeast to see if I can avoid filtering to get a clear beer in a reasonable amount of time.

Thoughts? Thanks!
    Luch Scremin
    Engine 15 Brewing Co.
    luch at engine15 dot com

Personally I've had nothing but luck with clear beer with this yeast using a very similar method to what you are using. If you aren't already, I'd recommend adding a bit more calcium to your mash to aid in floc, and/or using a fining agent like gelatin, isinglass, or bio fine after a few days of cold to aid in clarifying. You can add them directly to the fermenter via the racking arm pointed up and then bubble co2 through after it to mix up into the tank. I've had the best luck with bio fine. And in regard to your higher lagering temp, as long as you are dumping settled yeast from your cone every other day or so, you can avoid autolysis. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
    X