Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtering oxygen? Is it needed?

Hey everybody,

I wanted to throw a question out here and see what people say. Before I start, I want to mention that I used the 'search' function and found some related topics, but none (that I saw) directly answered my question or opened discussion of the topic in particular.

I've worked in a few larger production breweries; one used filtered, compressed air, the other used oxygen. Now, I'm working on setting up a smaller business.

I understand filtering air that would be coming out of a compressor, that makes sense. However, after talking to a few reps/techs about oxygen filtration, and reading the forums here, I'm coming to the conclusion that it might not be necessary. The in-line filter that I had grown accustomed to seeing used for oxygen filtration was not cleared for use with O2...so, a more expensive unit (~$500-600 more...Oof.) was proposed.

Forum topics suggest that anything in the lines would be killed/would not survive the O2 environment. Given the purity of the gas and the hostile environment it creates in the pathway to the stone, is filtering it needed?

If some others might chime in with their experiences and suggestions it would be appreciated. If this topic was covered explicitly in another thread, I may have missed it.

Cheers.

I have worked for breweries who insist on filtering O2 and those who do not. Personally, I like the little assurance a filter offers. You should be receiving food-grade O2 which is 99.5% pure. I like to throw in a cheap inline sanitary filter regardless of the purity of O2. I have found that morebeer.com has an affordable 0.27 micron inline filter. Below is a link for the filter.

It can't hurt to filter. If you have a flowmeter for the O2, it will allow you to ensure that the filter is not restricting flow and you get the appropriate amount of O2 into the wort. Once you find that you are needing to adjust your regulator or flowmeter, it will indicate either a dirty filter or a clogged stone.

I hope my two cents helps. Here is the link: http://morebeer.com/products/sanitary-filter.html

Cheers

James
    Last edited by NHBrewer23; 12-03-2014, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Why take the risk of introducing undesirable bacteria or yeasts through the aeration / oxygenation system?

Having said all that, there really is only any point in sterilising whichever gas you choose to use if you can sterilise the filter housing and the filter it contains, and all the connecting pipework and injection system downstream of the filter on a regular basis, which in every large brewery I have worked in is either before every wort transfer, or more normally, after every wort main clean, which might be every few brews, as the wort main usually contains the wort chiller, which can get fouled pretty quickly. If you can't sterilise everything regularly, you are really simply wasting time and money on the filters and filter housing.

The problem with using a compressor for compressed air rather than food grade oxygen is that compressors, out of necessity, need to be lubricated to stop them seizing - just like a car engine. Some of this oil gets carried over into the compressed air, and unless the compressor is guaranteed to produce oil free air, or you have an oil removal system, then the air will contain minute amounts of oil, which can affect the head retention and flavour / aroma of the beer.

Whatever you end up doing, you need to ensure no wort ever runs back into the gas supply line, or if there is the slightest risk, then all parts with which the wort can come into contact, must be easily and regularly cleaned.

Many flow meters must not be allowed to get wet, either with water based solutions, or with steam. Therefore the flow meter is normally located prior to the filter.
      dick

Comment

Working...
      X