Am I crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I crazy?

I am a total newb to the world of brewing beer. What I am no stranger to is beer. I am 30 years old and I teach high school English. I have recently taken it upon myself to drum up this crazy idea to start a brewpub in my area, which contains no such business as I write these words.

I am just now getting into home brewing and am very interested in the process. I have been browsing the threads here and was very pleased to see the sense of community and the willingness of so many to help those who post questions, which has led me to post my question in a few minutes. I have searched the previous threads that deal with brewpub particulars, but somehow feel the need to ask for myself….Am I crazy for wanting to start a brewpub, given the collective experience of those who might be reading this? Would the odds be stacked against me from the start? I am not afraid of hard work, long hours and the sort. However, I have no experience in the restaurant business per se, or the brewing business. All I have is a dream, but don’t know if it is just a pipe dream. I am looking for advice on what types of things I should be thinking about and what realities I should come to grips with. Any information that you found pertinent in your experiences would also be greatly appreciated. I think you get my point. I’m just looking for a little direction in this sea of madness. Please advise!

wow!
    Please realize I'm not trying to squash your dream.
    Opening a brewpub with no restaurant OR brewery experience would be like flying a blimp across the ocean with no pilot or swimming experience. There have been SEVERAL good threads about this very thing. Having worked in several microbreweries and brewpubs and now owning one, I would STRONGLY recommend you either become very experienced in one or both or hitch your wagon to someone who has the experience. These two businesses are even very difficult for people who have been doing it for several decades. There are several great breweries and brewpubs out there that are always looking for investors!
    Luck to you!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Dave's right, but...

Buffalo Bill's Brewery in Hayward, California, the first brewpub in the USA, was started by a photojournalist.

Wyncoop's in Denver was started by a geologist.

Dogfish Head in Rehoboth, Delaware, was started by a young couple with no significant exerience in ANYTHING business-related.

You need three things: money, passion, and an ability to do your homework!

You'll also need to hire people who know how to do what you don't.

Oh, and you'll need a significant amount of luck!

Good luck,

Tim

Comment

Time table

As I'm in the process of opening my own brewery, I see both sides of the argument. But if you don't try to open a pub next week there shouldn't be a huge issue. You mentioned you are a teacher, so you could take classes at UCDavis online, Siebel in Chicago, or the American Brewers Guild during the summer. Restaurant experience is very important in the eyes of banks, and insurance companies, so you might consider some part time work at a restaurant or partnering with someone who has the experience. If you take your time and prep for it before starting it, it's totally possible.

Good Luck,
        Ray
        Ray Sherwood
        Sherwood Brewing Company
        Shelby Township, MI
        f.586.532.9337

Comment

Go for it. All the way. Tarmadilo is right. If you have a dream, a scheme and a passion, then it will happen. The scheme may be the hardest part, but it is the way all of our dreams become reality. Don't let anyone tell you it cannot be done. If they do, email me for a promt quashing of their "I told you it couldn't be done" diatribe. If you want it bad enough, it will happen! (certain restrictions apply: if you squander money this offer is null and void; not all persons are brewery equipped-be advised that hard work and ingenuity are prerequisites.) Good luck!
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
          X