Distribution: Sale or Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distribution: Sale or Cost

This may be a simple answer, but just wanted some confirmation. For the purposes of sales projections, I'm thinking that when working with a distributor our beer is sold to them, and therefore considered a "sale". Is it possible to consider the 25-30% a "cost" and used as an expense of doing business? What do you think?

Michael

If the "Sale" is to the distributor, you are selling it to them for a price. Their markup is not an expense that you can claim. Your costs are only things that occur prior to the sale.

PS- Not an accountant by any means but that's my interpretation
    Last edited by briangaylor; 12-05-2014, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Any costs you incur during storage or transit to the distributor would be distribution costs. As Brian said, you can't write off someone else's markup as your expense.

Comment

Thanks so much for your input. All good points.

Comment

Price of beer to your distributor vs price to a consumer

This may be stupid- but here goes. we have been self distributing for about a year, got a little micro distributor for parts of the state that we can't reach effectively. When I invoice my distributor, I line item charge him my regular price that I charge other people, and then give him a line item discount of 30%. Is that an okay way to do it? Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X