Hop Flavor Profile Questions: Citra, Cascade, El Dorado, Medusa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hop Flavor Profile Questions: Citra, Cascade, El Dorado, Medusa

I'm trying to formulate some new recipes with hops (some) of which I've never used before. I find reading the descriptions they give you online are never what I experience with the hops. For instance, I just recently used Galena as a late hop addition in my IPA, and it gave me a super sweet, white grape taste to the IPA. I'm dumping it.

I"m looking for information on early boil, and late addition's of the following hops, and the impact they will have.

Cascade, late addition (my current batch is very grapefruit), I'm curious about how they are with a dry hop?

Citra: I've read the dry hop is good but diminishes fast.

El Dorado & Medusa, don't know much about this except what I've read online.

Amarillo: I am dry hopping with this at around the rate of .5#'s per bbl, and I"m noticing it gives the beer a "chewyness". Anyone else notice this?

hops

alpha i use galena in a few of my beers never got a white grape flavor out of them i got a nice strait bitterness never really dry hoped with them i dry hop with columbus and get a nice floral/ citres notes from them they seem to give my beer a harsher bitterness when added earky in the boil take a look at falconors flights there a blend of hops and there nice all around the othere hops you metioned seem to be hard to get some time so i havent used a lot of them eaither hope this help
    cheers matt

Comment

My impressions

Cascade- Clean grapefruit and floral as a dry hop/late addition.
      Amarillo- I get a nice pine/floral impression from it
      Citra- Awesome flavor and aroma, loses alot of its luster after carbing and kegging, but not all of it. One of my favorites.

El Dorado/Medusa, never used, just got some el dorado to try.

Comment

Did a single hop pale with El Dorado. Flavor was sweet stone fruits. Like straight up apricot fruit roll-ups!
        Hutch Kugeman
        Head Brewer
        Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
        Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Hop Flavor Profile Questions: Citra, Cascade, El Dorado, Medusa

Cascade is a classic all around great NW hop. Can get grassy in some harvests and if exposed too long to oxygen (aka not sealing the bags). Citra is very citrusy (GASP!) with a touch of catty/black currant that is very pleasant. If you put Citra in your beer, people will buy it like crazy. "Citra: Because people love that s**t."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by SeattleBrewer; 12-21-2014, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Medusa tastes as smells the closest too ditch weed. El Dorado is a fantastic new how and fairly easy to get for new breweries. We use very little citra in our ipa but cam into a bunch at a good price so I bought some.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X