How big of a glycol system do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big of a glycol system do I need?

I know there have been a lot of similar posts but I wanted to see if someone could give me an answer or at least some direction.

I have a 3 BBL brewhouse. My glycol system will need to be enough to run a plate chiller and six to eight 3 BBL fermentors. I plan to cool my fermentors with a SS snakes that will be submerged into the fermenting wort and temp controlled by STC-1000 units. The ambient temp in my bldg should not exceed 75F and most times will be a bit lower. I do not plan to cold crash very often and I will not be doing any lagers. I have looked at the system below but it looks a little pricey. Is this too big for what I need? and if not, are there better deals out there?

We carry high quality glycol chiller systems from Kreyer and Cold Shot that are designed for fermentation temperature control in breweries and wineries, as well as glycol chiller homebrew systems for home beer and wine makers.

Also, I will be running a short draw walk-in cooler type of tap wall and will not need any glycol for that.

Comment

A good place to start http://www.prochiller.com/brewload.html

Comment

We have a 1.5 bbl system and cool our fermentations the same way your describing with a inner coil but we do it with a 5000 btu aquarium chiller. We keep a water bath at 8 degrees Celsius and pump cold water through our coils. You could definitely get away with this for 3bbl fermenters too but it would be safer to go with a slightly larger unit I think. You will likely almost never have more than 4 fermenting actively at the same time. As for chilling the kettle, we use groundwater, and I'm not too experienced on needs for a chiller.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
          We have a 1.5 bbl system and cool our fermentations the same way your describing with a inner coil but we do it with a 5000 btu aquarium chiller. We keep a water bath at 8 degrees Celsius and pump cold water through our coils. You could definitely get away with this for 3bbl fermenters too but it would be safer to go with a slightly larger unit I think. You will likely almost never have more than 4 fermenting actively at the same time. As for chilling the kettle, we use groundwater, and I'm not too experienced on needs for a chiller.
          In Minnesota you can get away will chilling with ground water year round. In Tennessee in the summer our ground water can reach 75+. Takes forever to chill the wort and even then it has to be chilled further in the fermenter. I do like the idea of keeping a cold water bath for the fermenters though.

Comment

Working...
          X