1.5 bbl system. Best chiller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.5 bbl system. Best chiller?

We are opening a 1.5 bbl nano in a few months and I can't decide on a chiller that will work best for that volume. I have been using and immersion chiller for the past two years with my 15 gallon pilot system. That works just fine for that.

I have been debating on getting a large plate chiller, or going with a counter flow chiller, I have heard that plate chillers are very difficult to clean and get clogged easily. I was wondering what the best would be I haven't heard too many downsides to a counterflow chiller. Which is going to work best i.e. time, clean ability exc...

Thank for any help.
    Erik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a counterflow chiller on my nano and recirculate back to the kettle. This is due to the warm groundwater in the summer in my area and my lack of a CLT. It could be faster, but it works.

Comment

We do what pony sauras does only we use two counter flow chillers linked together in series. It chills just as fast as our old plate chiller and way faster than when the plate chiller got clogged. Overall I like the benefit of being able to totally clean the CFCs and never having to worry about clogging when we brew a double ipa. For this system (1.5) I'd never to back to a plate chiller

Comment

Tell me about your counter flow chillers, please. We are setting up a 1bbl pilot system and I am looking at chiller options

Comment

Ok sounds good looks like it's going to be a counter flow chiller!!

Erik Bell
          Owner / Head Brewer
          Old Klaverack Brewery

Comment

heres ours, we rigged up the aeration T system ourselves. we screw a 1/2 npt air stone in the bottom when were ready to oxygenate

Click image for larger version

Name:	cfcs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	190652

Comment

Originally posted by Oldklavebrew View Post
              We are opening a 1.5 bbl nano in a few months and I can't decide on a chiller that will work best for that volume. I have been using and immersion chiller for the past two years with my 15 gallon pilot system. That works just fine for that.

I have been debating on getting a large plate chiller, or going with a counter flow chiller, I have heard that plate chillers are very difficult to clean and get clogged easily. I was wondering what the best would be I haven't heard too many downsides to a counterflow chiller. Which is going to work best i.e. time, clean ability exc...

Thank for any help.
              Erik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              we use a pretty small plate chiller from duda diesel. it does the trick and it only got clogged once because our hop back ripped open. during the winter when ground water is cool we can chill a 1.5 bbl batch in 30-40 min. during the summer we dunk an immersion chiller in ice water before the plate chiller to speed the process.
              for cleaning, when we are done we run hot PBW through the plate chiller in the opposite direction while we clean everything else (about 30-45 min) and then rinse and fill with sanitizer which we leave in until next brew day and havent had a problem.

Comment

We use a Duda Diesel plate chiller as well. 1 Bbl chilled in roughly 15 minutes. We upsized our chiller a bit to reduce water usage. We did install a 1000L holding tank underground; pump out of it and warm water goes back in. Winter or summer I can brew every day and the water in the tank is suitable. We're only using about 15% of the tank capacity so the water holds a good temp. If you are using good kettle techniques, you shouldn't have problems with clogging.

Our nano is a market test and pilot system as we build out a 15Bbl system. We wanted all of the components to be as close to the large scale as possible in order to be more familiar with the systems as we move forward.

Comment

We just upgraded to the Duda Diesel 30 pate chiller. That thing is a beast! We can run the pump wide open and have 65 degree wort in the fermenter at 2.5 gallons per minute. Granted, its cold as hell here in Michigan now so the cold ground water helps.

Comment

Working...
                  X