Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalling Fermentation Issues - Please Help

Hey all,

Quite a poor situation I have on my hands. I brewed a batch of DIPA on 1/6/15. Mash temperature was 151*F, pH at 5.4 in mash (in tank at 5.0), 45 minute rest time, no mash out, 2hr lauter with a 90min boil, OG was 20.5*P. Pitched at 66*F. Achieved pitch rate after counting was 20 million/mL with 2nd generation yeast. YeastX82 in the kettle at manufacturer recommendation.

Here's where it gets scary,

From this batch I also split fermenting wort (on day 2) into (2) 55gal oak barrels for a barrel fermentation experiment. Additionally, I created (2) 6gal carboys for other experiments with the same yeast pitch.

We are now at 1/16/15 and my current gravity for each individual vessel is only at 8.4*P, exhibiting an average drop of 1-1.5*P per day, and my pH never dropped below 4.6. Two days ago, I created starters for each vessel with a new quantity of yeast (from the original culture) and re-pitched at high krausen. Still, no improvement whatsoever.

All temperatures have remained consistent. Even raising up 4*F to help entice fermentation.

The batch that we harvested this yeast from performed exceptionally well.

Our typical fermentation time for this particular DIPA is roughly 5-7 days to terminal.

Any thoughts? Oversights on my account?

Under aeration / oxygenation. What you are seeing is absolutely typical of inadequate oxygen in the initial wort, early fermentation.

Less likely, low viability yeast perhaps due to barely adequate oxygenation during that fermentation

Much less likely, lack of yeast nutrients such as zinc
    dick

Comment

We also had some similar problems with fermentation and we discovered we were putting to much oxygen in at knockout. Upwards of over 20ppm. We would get a good start and then a long 4-7 day stall and the activity would start up again and finish out as normal. We assumed it was under oxygenation at first and started to increase our oxygen flow to help and the problem remained. It took us awhile to nail it down.

Comment

Working...
      X