Process water pump off of HLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Process water pump off of HLT

So we are in the process of building a new brewery and our plan is to supply our Hot process water out of our HLT. The current design is going to involve having an extra outlet port on the HLT, which will feed into a centrifugal pump. This pump will pressurize the hot water system and be controlled through a pressure switch in the system so the pump is only running when it needs to supply or maintain pressure in the system, but is off if there is no active draw on the system. We are going with a 1" ID pipe coming off the pump, passing through a check valve, which will then likely step down to a 3/4" ID Pex system that will have a run of roughly 100' and a rise of roughly 20'. My questions right now are what size pump should I be looking at and is there anything I am overlooking or that would be beneficial to add?

I'd add either a pressure tank, like those used in home well pump systems, an on-delay relay, or both. With just the storage in the lines downstream of the pump and check-valve, you'll be getting lots of short-cycling of the pump, which means a short-lived pump motor.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Use a VFD to control the pump

Use a VFD along with your pressure switch. It will allow you ramp up and down the pump and you can adjust the speed of the pump to your lines so it doesn't short cycle.

We have done this lots of times for beer, canola oil and other products where you can't use a pressure tank.
      Last edited by CPESystems; 01-23-2015, 12:31 PM.
      Your CPE Systems Team!
      CPE Systems Inc.
      800-668-2268
      CPEsystems.com
      Thinkpumps.com
      sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

Working...
      X