Wyeast Smack Packs into 5bbl Pitchable Rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wyeast Smack Packs into 5bbl Pitchable Rate

So I took a Wyeast smack pack, smacked it, and I added it to 5l of 1.040 wort that I boiled. I was planning on using this to pitch into 5bbl.

Does this seem ok? Maybe I should have pitched it into a 5gallon carboy, then used that to pitch on 5bbl.

What's the proper way to do this?

Last i looked at growing up to a 3BBL Pitchable quantity, I believe I needed to step my way up to a 10Gal starter (honestly I was planning to just do a 10Gal batch of the same beer and pitch all of it into the 3BBL fermenter. It's been a while since I looked at this and did the calculations so YMMV.

You may want to check out http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-p...er-calculator/ to see if you can get a general idea from there.

Comment

We will commonly introduce 2 packs into 20L for 7bbls and get great results. We just split it into two separate cans each with 10L and 1 pack.

Comment

Use a starter calculator.
        In the yeast book Chris white goes into detail about yeast growth and starters. There's obviously a limit to the amount of yeast that can grow from a single smack pack in a 5 gallon batch. From what I remember the number you get from that prop isn't even enough for a 2 bbl batch. pitching 5 or 6 smack packs into a 5 gal batch would help but still probably wouldn't get you to the proper numbers for 5bbl.
        If your going to be doing yeast props that way for your brewery I would recommend investing in a microscope and a hemocytometer for cell counts.
        If you get a pitchable rate from BSI you will spend more but you are guaranteed results and you can reuse that yeast for 10-12 gens if your careful

Comment

Thanks everyone. I got 3711 propagated into 5 gallons, and pitched it int 5bbl and it worked great!!

Comment

Working...
          X