Cone bottom BK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cone bottom BK?

I've acquired a 10bbl cone bottom tank (it was used as a brite tank) . Wondering if it would make a good brew kettle, with the cone bottom, the hop and trub would settle into it making whirpooling less of a task!?
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any cons to using a coned bottom tank for a BK!

If it has a conical bottom it is most likely a fv and not a brite. In addition the conical bottom would not be conducive for even heat distribution. If it's insulated and has glycol jackets it could be a uni-tank good for fermentation and conditioning. Also if insulated it would be the wrong material.

Comment

Originally posted by TiminOz View Post
      If it has a conical bottom it is most likely a fv and not a brite. In addition the conical bottom would not be conducive for even heat distribution. If it's insulated and has glycol jackets it could be a uni-tank good for fermentation and conditioning. Also if insulated it would be the wrong material.
      It only has a slight cone, not nearly as much as my fermenters. I was thinking about using electric elements inside the tank.
      Just single walled, the brewery that sold it to me used it as a storage tank.

Comment

cone bottom bk

I am using a 1000 gal. Cone bottom tank as a direct fired bk. We spent a lot of time fabricating the burner box and insulating it. It has dual 300k btu burners. Works great so far.
        Scott Swygert
        Founder - Honky Tonk Brewing Co.

Comment

My BK was built with a cone bottom and it works great for whirlpooling. I have a dump valve right in the center of the cone and at the edge of the cone is the port where I pull all of the boiled wort from.
          Ben Pugh
          Meddlesome Brewing Company
          Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
          Memphis, Tn

Comment

Working...
          X