Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lager fermenters and temperature control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lager fermenters and temperature control?

I run a 20 bbl ale brewery. I am about to produce bottled and kegged beer. I am currently considering using single skinned vertilce coned fermenters, using the beer stores atmospheric temp (around 14 C) to control the fermentation temp. Can anyone advise against this?

If ok, should the fermenters be retrofitted with a cooling jacket to 'crash cool' at the end of fermentation, or could this be done in a separate bright tank?
    Last edited by tom.newman; 01-09-2006, 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling

I can't imagine how you manage to get consistent ale fermentations with this setup, let alone hope to control at between 9 and say 15 C for a lager fermentation. You really do need insulated tanks, with built in cooling jackets, or if really forced, cooling coils. Since you can't clean cooling coils easily, go for wall jackets. You will then be able to control top heat, diacetyl rest period, crash cool to help yeast sedimentation and help prevent yeast autolysis. It also means that your ale will then taste like an ale, and your lagers taste like lagers. Ferment at the same temperature, and in spite of different yeasts there will be certain similar flavour characteristics. This relates particularly to final beer pH.

I made a similar response to someones query re individually cooled and jacketed cold store tanks versus communal cold room tanks. The comments there apply just as much - in other words go for jacketed, individually temperature controlled, walled attemperated conical bottomed tanks.

Cheers
    dick

Comment

Everyone will tell you that you absolutely cannot do this for so many reasons. You don't have to agree. I have done this for years and you must control the cold air blower by the tank thermostat. It is challenging with multiple fermentations, and is much easier with multiple ale fermentations than multiple lagers, as the ale ferms are done in 2-3 days, lagers requiring temperature control for about 7 days. It would help to use yeasts that are more tolerant of colder temperatures. This is not a perfect system, but is possible. Message me if you have further questions.

Comment

Working...
      X