Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wet mill

Hello all,
    I'm in the planning stage of setting up a small brewery and have a 6-roller Kunzel dry mill and and a Steinecker 2-roller wet mill to choose from. For practical purposes I would prefer to use the wet mill but have heard of potential problems with hygiene. Has anyone got any experience with these mills or any knowledge of problems with them?

Thanks,

Jurriaan.

mill options

If you are going to automate the new brewery the steinecker mill
    is a fantastic piece of equipment, building a traditional hands on
    brewery the 6 roller will be your best choice. The wet mill has too
    many actions going on at any one time to make the milling flow
    uninterupted for a manual operation, thats if Steinecker even offers
    a wet mill that can be manualy operated. I have worked on both
    units, Stinecker for the wet mill application, and a Seeger 6 roll,
    When computer programming was dialed it was the best mill
    ever. Except for the rescreening of the sieve trays the 6 roll
    is also a very fine product. If you are going to Automate the
    brewery go with the Wet Vero Mill, More traditional power up and
    dump bags type brewery go with the 6 roller.
    Good luck and send pictures

Comment

woooooowwwww, somebody has lot's of money to get this types of malt milling process...

First, you have to know that the malt is sprayed with water at a certain temperature before entering the mill. That process should be fully enclosed.
      Than, you have to remember to clean all the conveyors b4 the mill!!!!

Do you want more extract; do you have problems with your mash and wort pH; what's the reason for that process.

Not knowing the BBL of your Brewery (total output), it is hard to give any exact advise.

Fred

Comment

Bling, Bling

What's the brewery? You running yet? Only a couple of small places I know of can afford the Steinecker mill....Sierra and New Belg.

I'd spend my money elswhere....like on a good filler
        (for a micro)

good luck
        Larry Horwitz

Comment

wet milling

Juriann:

Just to follow up on my earlier post.

Why was wet milling developed? ....to have the husk in good condition, which most time is damaged already on the way to the mill.
          Wet milling starts with steeping the grain in conveyors on their way to the mill. The husk and the whole internal of the grain absorb water and become more elastic.
          Now, the mills most important part is the crushing rollers, where the gap has to be controlled very carefull.
          One has to control the grist-water ratio very carefull; if you don't have a fully automated system. Also, you should look into re-using all the water you use for steeping etc.
          Hope this helps a bit...
          Fred

Comment

Hello all, thank you for your replies,
            I should clarify that I already posess this equipment and that it is not new.
            It used to be part of a pilot plant of a rather large brewery. The wet mill dates from, around 1984 but has only been used a few times. It has a conical tank mounted on the top, in which the malt is wetted by circulating water over it.

Following that, the malt is passed through the rollers, with I assume more water,then falls into an inverted pyramid which feeds a pump that pumps to the mashtun.

The main reasons I'd prefer to use the wet mill are; a simpler consruction (it is placed on the floor) and a supposedly higher extact.
            I intend to brew twice a day, and am wondering if the mill needs caustic cleaning on a daily basis to prevent possible contamination by heat resistant bacteria?
            Regards,
            Jurriaan

Comment

wet mill CIP program

If you will shut down for the night after your second brew I would
              cycle a mild caustic CIP for the Wet Mill, and if you have a shut down
              for more than 48hours or the weekend run a complete CIP on
              the unit. No need to sanitize just Caustic and Acid. I am not sure
              on the pipe layout but you should have a very fine filter on your
              CIP tank return so as not to clog the spray jets on the mill from
              the remaining husk material left over from the rinse
              Please send pictures and good luck and what tasty products will
              you be introducing?

Comment

Thanks again for the replies and advice. Sorry, can't send pictures yet as we're only in the planning stages and the equipment is still in storage. Haven't decided on any particular style yet either.
                I shall post some photos when we're up and running.

Cheers,
                Jurriaan.

Comment

Wet mills

I realize this is an ancient thread but I was wondering what other manufacturers are out there for wet mills. Seems to me I've seen a small mill mounted just under the grist case and over the mash tun. It was not just a grist hydrator.
                  Slainte,
                  Jeff Lockhart
                  Brew Master
                  Red Leg Brewing Co.

Comment

Working...
                  X