First Time All-Grain Brewer Needs Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time All-Grain Brewer Needs Recipe

Hello there, were piloting a 1 bbl system. Can anyone help me with a simple, 4-5 ingredient recipe for our first all -grain brew? Checked out a lot of recipes online and in books. But i figure id be pouring most of them down the drain if I tried them. Anything but standard American Ale. Thank you!

have you any home brewing experience because if you have never done an allgrain batch before and your trying to go for 31 gal that's a big leap
    just my 2 cents
    matt 3GB

Comment

Originally posted by Jude View Post
      Hello there, were piloting a 1 bbl system. Can anyone help me with a simple, 4-5 ingredient recipe for our first all -grain brew? Checked out a lot of recipes online and in books. But i figure id be pouring most of them down the drain if I tried them. Anything but standard American Ale. Thank you!
      So are you saying you DONT like American Ales? So, tell us what you deem desirable and/or enjoy drinking. No reason not to brew what you like and be forced(?) to dump a bunch of beer down the drain. Sounds like it may a good idea to partner with an experienced all grain home brewer if you could find one in your neck of the woods. Good place to check is a local homebrew shop. Most are involved with brewing clubs that have experienced homebrewers as members. HTH

Comment

Well I didnt mean to offend anyone. Im just a guy going from home brewing and extracts looking to make the leap into all grain commercial brewing after a few books and some web discussion. Im in the same spot as a lot f you were at one point and I just came looking for advice. Everyone starts somewhere.
        Im piloting with some restaurant equipment and a system we threw together on a shoestring budget.
        Ive never met a beer type that I didnt like. But I was advised that an American ale can be a bad place to start for your first all grain because there isnt much to mask any mistakes and impurities. I was told to go with a stout or porter to start but I didnt want to narrow anything down. And just to be clear, Im making 1 bbl batches in order to try out recipes and the equipment. Some beer will wind up going down the drain. Thanks

Comment

Go to places like homebrewtalk.com and look up "SMaSH" recipes (Single Malt and Single Hops) for simplicity. But realize what you're trying to do is a major leap, akin to writing your first novel and win the Pulitzer Prize. You only have once chance to make a good impression in the commercial marketplace... tread carefully.
          Kevin Shertz
          Chester River Brewing Company
          Chestertown, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Jude View Post
            Well I didnt mean to offend anyone. Im just a guy going from home brewing and extracts looking to make the leap into all grain commercial brewing after a few books and some web discussion. Im in the same spot as a lot f you were at one point and I just came looking for advice. Everyone starts somewhere.
            Im piloting with some restaurant equipment and a system we threw together on a shoestring budget.
            Ive never met a beer type that I didnt like. But I was advised that an American ale can be a bad place to start for your first all grain because there isnt much to mask any mistakes and impurities. I was told to go with a stout or porter to start but I didnt want to narrow anything down. And just to be clear, Im making 1 bbl batches in order to try out recipes and the equipment. Some beer will wind up going down the drain. Thanks
            every beer starts by being either an ale or a lager. Stouts and porters both fall under ale. So if you brewed a stout or a porter you would Be brewing an ale, and if you used American yeast for your stout or porter you would be brewing an American ale. See where I'm going with this?

so using a term like American ale is not specific enough for anyone to know exactly what you want to avoid

Comment

Hi Jude,
              One barrel.....okay.
              Use 55# two row, 3# black, 3# chocolate. Hop with Northern Brewer and Czech Saaz. Shoot for IBUs around 40. You want a SG around 1.050. Use a simple, clean finishing yeast. Don't get fancy. Just brew a simple beer. Carbonate it to around 2.7 volumes. Send me a bottle when it's done.

Prost!
              Dave
              Glacier Brewing Company
              406-883-2595
              info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

I know you are trying to avoid the american ale but my vote is an american IPA. It gives you a wide margin for error to account for not knowing the system efficiency. If it comes in low you made a pale ale/amber, if it comes in high you made a double. No matter what you are likely gonna make something that is drinkable with hops to cover up any minor shortfalls. An IPA by any other name...

Comment

Every new system I ever commissioned had a brown ale as the first batch. Find a clone recipe of something you like. Use a book for your source NOT the internet. Try CloneBrews, North American CloneBrews, or Beer Captured. Or convert one of your extract recipes to all grain. Get a local homebrewer that is advanced to help. Good luck!
                  Mike Pensinger
                  General Manager/Brewmaster
                  Parkway Brewing Company
                  Salem, VA

Comment

Consider picking up a copy of Classic Beer Styles Porter and Classic Beer Styles Pale Ale both by Terry Foster. Recipes are in the back of the books written for home snd commercial brewing. You will have to choose from hops that currently being cultivated though.

Comment

Working...
                    X