Help with Stalled Fermentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Stalled Fermentation

I haven't had an issue with a fermentation stalling out until now when I brewed a high gravity (27P) beer. Pitched WLP001, well oxygenated, with Yeastex in the boil. After 6 days I was down to 10P, and it has been stuck there for a week now. Bubbling has stopped and the temp is starting to drop. Any ideas for me to get this going again? From what I've read, I can try bubbling some oxygen (which I'm hesitant about), or adding some fermenting wort? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My guess is that it's not stalled, it's done. How far were you expecting that to attenuate? How much did you pitch/vol of wort etc?

Comment

It's currently at 63% attenuation, so I would certainly expect more than that. It was a 10BBL pitch for 10BBLs.

Comment

Originally posted by FourSonsBrewing View Post
        It's currently at 63% attenuation, so I would certainly expect more than that. It was a 10BBL pitch for 10BBLs.
        What was the grain bill (did it contain sugar or ws it all-malt, was there a lot of specialty malts) and mash temp?

Was the 10BBL pitch for a 27P wort (.7 mio cells per ml/P)?

Have you done a forced fermentation test on a sample of the beer to find out if it actually stalled or done?

I would not add oxygen at this point. If the yeast has crapped out, there is no need to try to make it reproduce. Even if it do start fermenting again it will probably be ruined if you do that.

-Christian

Comment

If it is indeed stuck, best bet is to Krausen with 15-20% wort at high krausen (24-48 hrs after pitching)

Comment

Ended up pitching a bit more yeast and pumping over some fermenting wort. 24 hrs later it's down 10 points and bubbling away so looks like I should be good. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
            X