Pump for moving beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump for moving beer

We're going to use open fermentors and will have to move the beer from fermentation to conditioning by pump.

Of course I am concerned about sucking in air, in case the pump is not stopped in time, and thus 1. aerating the finished beer, 2. breaking the pump.

Is it possible to get a pump that stops once there is no loger liquid flowing or are you aware of any other methods that might work.

I have thought of connecting a liquid level sensor to the beer being moved that is connected to the power outlet of the pump. That would work, but it is not very sanitary.

-Christian

Some Variable Freq. Drives have run-dry prevention. Not cheap, and might not catch it in time. A bio-monitor (brewer) is probably the best solution.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Second the biomonitor.

Transfer time will be reasonably consistent, so the brewer should know when the tank is going to empty within a window of a few minutes.

On a more practical standpoint, I've seen plenty of transfers from open fermenter to closed vessel suck dry without any significant DO pickup in the receiving vessel.

I wouldn't worry too much about damage to the pump either, not unless you take a long lunch or go home for the night.

[edit] a liquid level sensor might work and can well be sanitary. However, depending on sensor type, I imagine you could get issues with the sensor fouling with yeast and not detecting the end of transfer.
      Last edited by kai; 02-06-2015, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kai View Post
        Second the biomonitor.

Transfer time will be reasonably consistent, so the brewer should know when the tank is going to empty within a window of a few minutes.

On a more practical standpoint, I've seen plenty of transfers from open fermenter to closed vessel suck dry without any significant DO pickup in the receiving vessel.

I wouldn't worry too much about damage to the pump either, not unless you take a long lunch or go home for the night.

[edit] a liquid level sensor might work and can well be sanitary. However, depending on sensor type, I imagine you could get issues with the sensor fouling with yeast and not detecting the end of transfer.
        Maybe I am just being paranoid. I have only pushed beer with Co2 before. Anyway, the yeast left in the beer to be conditioned, will probably help scavenge some of the air being sucked in if I fuck up and forget.

-C

Comment

Mcfinn

McFinns Bowpeller is and excellent pump for minimizing O2 and very low shear. We were looking for a better pump with low shear. Good pricing too.

Pumps built with innovation for today, featuring a design that looks ahead to tomorrow.

Now our filter transfers are fast and painless, also works great for a general brewery pump, very accurate and has this rad wireless remote.

Comment

If you are using a centrifugal pump it will not significantly pump air so a run dry sensor will be fine.

Comment

Working...
            X