No announcement yet.

Help broken mash mixer/paddle bushing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help broken mash mixer/paddle bushing!

Does any one have a good source for bushings that go under mash paddles or rakes in the lauter tun?

I came in this morning to find mine laying in the mash tun in pieces,clogging the outlet. It looks pretty bad after 15 years of use. I think it is either Teflon or some sort of Poly. I attached some pics
    Any help is appreciated. No brewing makes for a unhappy brewer.Click image for larger version

Name:	20150210_074357.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	193686Click image for larger version

Name:	20150210_074334.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	193687

Might be Delrin.

A good machine shop should be able to make one pretty easily. Another idea might be to use a cutting board and fab up your own. Not sure what the dimensions are.
    Mike Pensinger
    General Manager/Brewmaster
    Parkway Brewing Company
    Salem, VA

Comment

Got it figured out

Originally posted by beermkr View Post
      Might be Delrin.

A good machine shop should be able to make one pretty easily. Another idea might be to use a cutting board and fab up your own. Not sure what the dimensions are.
      Beermkr- Thanks for the reply I ended up removing the same piece(in better condition) from my lauter tun and it's completely different. It's one solid mushroom shaped piece of UHMW. Have one (actually six) being made tomorrow.
      I'm guessing that they did a quick fix in Japan before I got the system. The piece pictured was hollow compared to the solid piece from the lauter.
      Cheers and thanks,

Comment

Plastic cutting boards are a very good and fairly cheap source of UHMW plastic, which would be my material of choice. Do not use Teflon (PTFE)! Teflon is a magnet for all the nasties in trub (especially hop residues). It will gum up incredibly fast, is impossible to clean, and will simply fall apart in short order. I tried Teflon bushings in our kettle CIP system--they were shot in a couple of weeks. I won't use Teflon pipe tape anywhere near wort, as it has the same problems, but worse due to the large surface area.
        Last edited by TGTimm; 02-11-2015, 10:13 AM.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
        X