Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchase equipment before hiring a brewer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase equipment before hiring a brewer?

Hi, we are in the process of opening a brewpub and need to choose equipment in order to get the plumbing going for the building.

Has anyone purchased equipment, before hiring a head brewer? If so, any advice?

Thanks,

Jerry

Build-out Plan

If you can present your building lay-out plus estimated production I am sure all of us here on Probrewer can size and recommend MFG's.. Pictures of your building would be helpful plus ceiling height.

Good luck

Lance
    Tonopah Brewing
    Rebel Malting Co.
    lancejergensen@gmail.com

Comment

As a brewer I have been on both side of this. I have been hired on and purchased equipment in two and been hired after the equipment was there in two.

The reality is that if you are not sure about the equipment then I would hire a brewer that has buildout experience. If that is not in your budget timeline then hiring a consultant is a really good use of some funds. I good consultant can get you aimed in the right direction and you end up with a good system that can attract a good brewer when the time comes. A poorly sourced or installed system can be detrimental to your operation in many ways!
      Mike Pensinger
      General Manager/Brewmaster
      Parkway Brewing Company
      Salem, VA

Comment

Having someone with practical experience around when you do your plumbing may change how you do it though.

You might not realize "A wash-down hose here would be convenient." Or "if we run the pipes like this and this we can recirculate the HLT while quieting the pump, or by opening this valve, heat up the exchanger during CIP." Or "You realize running a pipe across there means you'll have to do this yoga pose to reach this valve here..."
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Agree. Get yourself a decent consultant, experienced in your size of brewery, or an experienced brewer first. If you are going to get a comparative rookie brewer because he is local, keen, cheap and makes good homebrew, then fine, but get yourself the consultant to help set it up for ease and safety of use - for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts.
          dick

Comment

Three times I have started working at a startup when the equipment was on its way or being installed.

Two of those times, there was so many stupid decisions I had to adjust to.
            No tilting floors, PLASTIC floors that couldn't even handle WATER on it for more than 20-30 minutes, crappy equipment that was cheap, good equipment that really was overkill and too expensive, just because some salesman had convinced the office people that it would be a great idea.

The third time, almost everything is done to perfection. Tilting floors, good equipment, money spent on getting the most beer with as little man hours and money as possible.
            And that was because they hired a very experienced brewer to lead the project.

Hire a brewer. Or hire a consultant.

Comment

Thanks

Hi everyone, thanks for the advice. Pretty clear that we need to get somone on board, first. Cheers! Jerry

Comment

it's funny. everyone is mentioning that a consultant should be hired.
                is there anyone out there that consults, has the time to consult or can consult w/o there being a fear of conflict of interest?

i'm looking at my city (toronto) as an example. there are a number of gifted brewers. some would be happy to opine, but everyone's so bloody busy

Comment

Working...
                X