In-line filtration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-line filtration?

Has anyone ever used any sort of inline filtration when packaging? If so, what did you use?

Bearing in mind this was in big breweries, variously 10, 5 and 1 micron. As the beer was pasteurised, I have never used sterile beer filtration cartridges (typically 0.45 micron) Having said all of that, these cartridge filters were always considered final trap filters to catch, primarily, any collapsed foam, or particles of dirt left behind after the the CIP processes, or perhaps breakdown particles from seals etc.

Because of the need for constant pressure and flow into the filler, it is really not sensible to carry out anything other than final fine particulate trap filtration of pre-filtered beer.

If nothing else though, you should have some sort of mesh filtration just before the filler to stop any bits of hose / gasket / filings from wearing pumps etc., etc..
    dick

Comment

Some of our single oak barrel size projects we carbonate in individual kegs. Between the bulldog and the hose it's a good idea to put a stainless mesh gasket in. That way you catch any oak chips flowing out of the barrel.
      Russell Everett
      Co-Founder / Head Brewer
      Bainbridge Island Brewing
      Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Hoping to revive the thread

I am looking in to this same question currently. We have a plate and frame filter as well as several housings for 30" filter cartridges. We are looking to move away from filter pads for the plate and frame if possible to be more cost efficient. Do any of you have experience with using filter cartridges for final polish filtering, of already DE filtered beer? If so can you describe your set-up. Any input/ advice is welcome and thanks for your time.

Comment

I'm not clear on your setup. Are you using a plate and frame filter with Kieselguhr (or other filter powders), or using a sheet filter without kieselguhr? The reason I am slightly unsure is because of the terminology you have used. A plate and frame filter has chambers for kieselguhr or other powder cake build up, each chamber "frame" alternating with sheet support plates. It could be used for sheet filtration only if the appropriate sheets are selected, BUT it must not be backwashed at high flow rate otherwise the sheets will be damaged. A sheet filter consists of two sets of similar metal / polyprop plates, which closely support the sheets on both sides, and so allow backwashing.

So - if you have a plate and frame setup then why not consider changing the frames for inlet plates? This will allow you to back flush with water after every run and increase the working life of the filter sheets - probably close to or even in excess of the filter cartridges you are enquiring about.

If you have a plate filter set up, then are you backflushing the sheets after each filter run. Providing the filter sheets are adequately supported, then you should be able to backflush with cold fresh water until clear using at least the same flow rate as the filter is desgined for beer filtration, and then backflush with hot water to remove more material that dissolves best in hot water, and to sterilise the sheets. Don't go onto hot water without a cold water flush first as you will cause more of the proteins embedded in the sheets to bond with the filter sheet material and block them faster.

I would expect that with this process you should get similar costs or cheaper than cartridge filtration. And you save the cost of buying new cartridge filter kit (though it sounds as though you have much if not all of it). And for sensible working life of cartridge filters, you should follow a similar backflush routine anyway.
          dick

Comment

Originally posted by Randy.Cockerell View Post
            I am looking in to this same question currently. We have a plate and frame filter as well as several housings for 30" filter cartridges. We are looking to move away from filter pads for the plate and frame if possible to be more cost efficient. Do any of you have experience with using filter cartridges for final polish filtering, of already DE filtered beer? If so can you describe your set-up. Any input/ advice is welcome and thanks for your time.
            We use a trap filter post DE to capture any potential blow through and to polish. Pall has some great cartridges and housings. Housings I've seen are available in single cartridge all the way up to 28. We currently run a six cartridge millipore w/ flow rates around bbl/min. The larger the housing will allow for higher flow rates. As you go through filter runs, the differential will steadily climb, slowing down your flow. We'll do a backflush with either city water or HL, depending on what's available, then sanitize and start back up. We'll leave it full of caustic over the weekend to break down any soil buildup. Backflush at the start of the week, sanitize and then start our daily operations.

Comment

Working...
            X