BSI yeast packaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSI yeast packaging

So first off I have to say I love the quality of yeast I get from BSI overall. My first gen batches always turn out awesome.

However, I've been having some trouble with their packaging, several weeks ago I got a 1.5 bbl pitch able pack from them that had a dime sized split in the corner where the bag is seamed together. Not sure when it happened but it was in the top of the bag and I didn't notice until it was leaking down my hand while pitching. The subsequent batch had a decent amount of acid producing bacteria activity. Bryan sent me a new pitch free of cost right away. I pitched that one and a few more after that without problems.

However just yesterday I was pitching a 3 bbl bag of yeast from them and when I was handling it to pop out the spout it develeped a pin sized hole in one of the creases where the bag folds back on itself. I know it was probably my fault so I don't expect Bryan or Dave to send me new yeast but as a concerned customer I feel that there is an issue with their packaging.... Anyone else have a similar experience?

I don't really want to order white labs or wyeast because from what I've heard you get much less for
    Cell counts and it's much more expensive. But I guess if I have to start propogating yeast so be it..

I have good experience with WYeast. Check the pricing by yourself and compare.

Comment

We pretty much just use BSI but have not had any of the problems you've described. Sorry to hear though, sounds frustrating. When we have gotten yeast from Wyeast it has been in the same cubical bottles. I'm not a fan of them either, no real good way to introduce the yeast to the fermenter but open the hatch, open the cap stick your arm in and dump! Either way, the overall quality of the BSI stuff as well as the amazing customer service and selection, will keep me coming back.
      First time, Long time.
      Matchless Brewing
      Three Magnets Brewing
      Olympia WA

Comment

with wyeast if i bought 3 liters giving me a .75 million/ml pitch rate it would come out to be $183 before shipping, which is definitely more expensive than BSI. If they are using the same bottles as BSI then there really isnt any benefit to Wyeast that i'm seeing. With white labs i've been hearing that they send you half as much yeast as you really need giving you long lag times and its still just as expensive.

Comment

I have been using BSI yeast since 1993 and I have never had any issue with their packaging or their yeasts. I would chalk up your recent experiences as an anomaly. BSI is one of the shining, consistent suppliers on the craft beer scene. Give them another chance.

Prost!
          Dave
          Glacier Brewing Company
          406-883-2595
          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

We've experienced a small pinhole leak with a 50bbl pitchable packaging before. I believe this happened due to a brewer not releasing pressure from the container after the yeast nutrient was added. Overall, very satisfied with BSI's product and customer service.

Comment

BSI Fan

I'm a BSI fan - Been using BSI since 2010 - using 10bbl to 15 bbl pitchable. Never had a bad experience, and they have always gone out of their way to help me trouble shoot whenever I had any QC issues with my process system (unrelated to their products, of course.)

Comment

Working...
              X