Roof Penetration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Penetration

Does anyone have a drawing/picture or insight on what is needed for an 8" double wall insulated flue vent through a flat roof?
    Thanks

Its pretty easy, I don't have a picture of it, but you have a certain clearance required by code for flammable materials, usually 1" all the way around. I also put a larger diameter single wall 18" long section around the pipe to keep the insulation looking nice. Then you need the roof jack and storm collar. How you seal the flashing depends on the roof type. If it is a built up type(tar and paper) then you just get some roof patching compound, put it under the flashing, screw it down and then put it on top of the flashing with some reinforcing mesh. If you know any roofing contractors, they can give you some good pointers.

Comment

That is the pdf that I followed. It shows sloped roofs, flat roofs are done the same, you just dont have to tuck things under shingles. But all the hole sizes and supports are the same. If you use B vent, if it is something else you will have to check the code for clearances.

Comment

Codes vary from state to state, but most require a 1 hour fire retention plenum if the flue passes through a space between the ceiling and the roof. This can be two layers of fire-code 5/8" drywall with joints staggered and sealed with intumescent (fire-code) caulking.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
        X