CO2 plumbing alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO2 plumbing alternatives

I'm about to add some new regulator stations to our CO2 system. In the past all our CO2 lines have been type L copper, but some of the runs I need to install are long and I'd like to avoid the high cost of copper plumbing. This is after our primary regulator, so about 90 psi max.

What are the best alternatives to copper? Is rigid PEX compatible with CO2 at <100 psi? If so, what would be the best system for joining the PEX lines?

TIA--
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

We use pex for our air line at around 100 PSI. Never had an issue in the 2+ years since it has been installed. I do not know about connecting it to copper.

I'd be interested to hear about people using pex for CO2 as I would like to do that in the future. The only concern I can think of is pulling very cold liquid from the tank into the pex lines and the pex being unable to handle that temperature over an extended period of time.

Right now we our CO2 lines are braided vinyl hose. Never had any problems on the multiple occasions when we were using so much CO2 that liquid started coming out of the tanks.

Comment

We have always just used the braided CO2 line that all the CO2 installers use. Cheap. flexible and works fine. With that said I am a big fan of PEX in general. Easy to connect to copper with the right fitting.
      Mike Pensinger
      General Manager/Brewmaster
      Parkway Brewing Company
      Salem, VA

Comment

Cider--as I wrote, this application would be downstream of our vaporizer and primary regulator--no worries about liquid CO2 or extreme temperature swings. I am thinking we would want to use the oxygen barrier type to keep O2 from ozmossing into our CO2 lines.

Beer mkr--if I were looking at a couple of feet of line, the braided hose might be practical. I'm looking at about 100'. We draw our CO2 from 500 lb cap. Dewar flasks located in our mechanical room for delivery to the rest of the brewery and pub.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

I have at least 100' of the braided. Not braided like from lowes/home depot but the milky white braided.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-03 16.58.20.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	190677
          Mike Pensinger
          Parkway Brewing Company
          Salem, VA

Comment

Yep, we've got the braided vinyl running everywhere.
            Russell Everett
            Co-Founder / Head Brewer
            Bainbridge Island Brewing
            Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Sorry, Mike. I thought you were referring to the SS braided line like we use for our main CO2 hook-up to the Dewars.

Do you know if that line you have has an oxygen barrier?
              Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
              Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Not sure about an oxygen barrier. honestly never really considered it. I expect that the amount of intrusion would be so minimal that it would not be an issue.
                Mike Pensinger
                Parkway Brewing Company
                Salem, VA

Comment

We're using that exact same braided vinyl tubing pictured above as well. No problems at all, it's cheap and easy to run, easy to maintenance, etc etc. It's Bev-Flex 172, and no it isnt listed as having an oxygen barrier, but I agree that any oxygen ingress is going to be so minimal that I have never worried.

Comment

Mike--are you interested in selling that tubing? I'll have to run it by the boss, but it looks like a decent way to go.

BTW--what's the ID on that?
                    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

That coil is my drag it to the fermenter coil Check Foxx Equipment company. BevFlex-172 as listed above.
                      Mike Pensinger
                      Parkway Brewing Company
                      Salem, VA

Comment

Sorry, I believe it is 3/8

Last edited by beermkr; 03-04-2015, 11:05 AM.
                        Mike Pensinger
                        Parkway Brewing Company
                        Salem, VA

Comment

Hmm... That Bevflex 172 does look attractive--it is available in 1/2" ID, very high working pressure--200 psi @ 70F--and pretty good price at $46/300' (why can't Foxx list prices on their website?). I'm still a little leery of oxygen infiltration when the line isn't in use, and one of the ferms I want to hook up is only 20 bbl. Not sure if that would be significant or not.

This is what I've been considering: http://www.supplyhouse.com/Rifeng-PE...ubing-12212000 which is a PEX-Aluminum-PEX semi-rigid oxygen barrier line, but it's about twice as expensive as the Bevflex. I think I'll give my draft beverage experts at Steinbart's a call and see what they think.
                          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
                          X