Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Internal Calandria - Worth the extra expense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal Calandria - Worth the extra expense?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 20bbl system and am debating adding the the option of the internal calandria. I understand the general benefits of greater evaporation in the boil kettle and possibly getting to a boil quicker. For those of you that do have a calandria, are you glad you have it? Do you feel that it improves your process, saves you meaningful time in a brew day, or any other benefits or downsides that I should be aware of?

Does anybody not have it and wish they did?

I'm looking for perspective to help me determine if it is worth the extra $$ to have it installed now by the manufacturer. Oh, I do realize that if I get the calandria installed, that means that I will need to get the 3rd whirlpool vessel now (which we would eventually get once we reach the point where we will start double batching).

Thanks!

Brian

Why not an external cooker, that way you get a better boil AND you can keep your combined kettle/whirlpool a while longer.

Comment

absolutely worth it. Love mine.
      Head Brewer Rocks Brewing Co.
      Sydney, Aust
      scotty@rocksbrewing.com

Comment

We have an internal calandria on our 40 bbl kettle, which we also use for a whirlpool. It does great, and we don't have problems with it during whirlpool. And I think the benefits are not increased evaporation, but better movement of the wort with less heat input.
        Linus Hall
        Yazoo Brewing
        Nashville, TN
        www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Colandria with bottom steam jacket.

I love my colandria, and with the addition of a bottom steam jacket, steam on during run-off I am at boil when the kettle is full. Saves me 1 hr on the brew.

Lance
          Tonopah Brewing
          Nevada USA

Comment

Originally posted by nohandslance View Post
            I love my colandria, and with the addition of a bottom steam jacket, steam on during run-off I am at boil when the kettle is full. Saves me 1 hr on the brew.

Lance
            Tonopah Brewing
            Nevada USA
            Same here, we have an IDD HEBS and we are on boil at the end of run off (35 mins with vorlauf) and have a mash in every 2-2,15 hours.

Scotty
            Head Brewer Rocks Brewing Co.
            Sydney, Aust
            scotty@rocksbrewing.com

Comment

Working...
            X