X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using Picobrew Zymatic?

Has anyone seen/used one of these in person?:

http://picobrew.com

It seems like an easy option for a "pilot system" and a hell of a lot cheaper than a Sabco. I brew on a 20 BBL brewhouse and we have a decent Sabco-like setup for pilots. It seems very straightforward, but I'm wondering if it gets consistent, reliable results for scaling up.

They're designed and assembled in Seattle and I've been to their place. Pretty cool little unit, been thinking about getting one for us. Homebrew friend of mine is their Test Brewer, working on recipes and testing things out.

While there's some utility to Make Mini-Version Of New Recipe, I think for me the big use would be testing ingredients. 3 gallon batch of pale ale with 10% Simpsons Crystal Light vs Great Western C-30 vs Briess vs... etc., or same recipe, same IBUs, different bittering hops - can you notice the difference. Or, hey, got a brewers cut of this new hop, what does it do? That sort of thing. The whole set it and forget it thing would be nice given that I don't have the time to get my full pilot setup out all that often.
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

We have a brewmatic in our lab. It's a fun toy, but without fermentation temp control on your 2.5 gallon batch, it's really just a toy. If you're ever in Columbus, OH, or if you want more details, pm me and I can arrange something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We're lucky to be in Seattle and I've been using the Zymatic for experimental batches as we've been building out our tasting room. Single-ingredient variations are easy to brew up in a controlled environment. It also satiates the random urge to brew something way out there without fear of a whole day spent on the pilot system. I'd suggest getting in contact with them through their website - they're pretty responsive. I was recently informed they are working on some kind of pilot program with interested breweries.

For more reviews, Denny Conn wrote a nice piece at http://www.experimentalbrew.com/blog...ng-zymatic-way
        I also wrote up a quick blog post about on the zymatic at: http://www.luckyenvelopebrewing.com/...30/pico-pilot/

Comment

Yep I'm using one in my garage. I can't speak to its commercial application as much as Lucky Envelope but I agree it is great to hold all other variables fixed and change just one to see impact. You can control a lot in online recipe build mode, including mash times and temps, hop additions etc.

Your material cost for a 2.5G batch is probably less than $20 which i imagine is way less than even your smallest batch requirement in a typical brewery operation.

If you are ever in Seattle you should do a demo with them.

Comment

Working...
          X