Paracetic acid safety precautions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paracetic acid safety precautions.

What are you guys doing at your brewery for safety precautions when using paracetic acid?

I know its a strong oxidizer and can burn your skin, but are the fumes going to dull your sense of smell, and destroy your lungs?

We have been using about 2 ounces of the 5.6% concentration per 4-5 gallons of water for sanitizing. The whole brewery room usually smells like paracetic after we are done sanitizing so im thinking about wearing a gas mask the entire time...
    Last edited by Junkyard; 04-10-2015, 11:51 AM.

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
    What are you guys doing at your brewery for safety precautions when using paracetic acid?
    Use proper PPE--rubber apron (saves clothes), rubber gloves, and face mask. Have a wash down station nearby when mixing, and be sure there's a second person within sight/sound--peracetic acid in the eyes results in instant--hopefully temporary--blindness.

I know its a strong oxidizer and can burn your skin, but are the fumes going to dull your sense of smell, and destroy your lungs?.
    Never been a problem for us.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Acid Logistics

We use a face mask, rubber gloves and have a dedicated acid chemical container. Additionally, we only use a concentration of 1 ounce per 5 gallons. We've never had an issue.

Comment

we mix 1oz to 6 gallons water that dilutes it to about 200pm , rubber gloves that reach elbows, eye protection is a must. I have gotten it on my hands once turns your skin bright white
        we just started using it about a month ago for tanks and bottle washing for bottles I mix 1.5 oz to 12gallons of water and its still works great
        hope this help matt

Comment

We transfer from the 5 gallon carboy to about a dozen of the 32oz, 1oz dosing bottles (like they sell star San in at the Homebrew shop) with a small siphon pump, then use those bottles daily.

When filling those 32oz bottles we do goggles, gloves and respirators. When dosing from the bottles into a tank or whatever, just be careful...use common sense.

Comment

Working...
          X