Generic Manufacturing-Starfire Labeler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic Manufacturing-Starfire Labeler

We are using a Generic Manufacturing Starfire pressure sensitive labeler. It applies body and neck labels. We have had some problems with applying the neck labels so that when they go through the rinser they stay on the bottle. I am looking for anyone who has one that can send us a few pictures and ideas to help the labels apply better. Generic Manufacturing is the absolute worsti n regards to customer service. I've been trying to get support from them on this matter for a month. If anyone has one and could help I have a few questions.
    Kai Adams
    Sebago Brewing Company
    www.sebagobrewing.com

Generic Woes

Kai,

We have a Starfire currently in use here. We are about to replace it with a Krones labeler, and I am counting the days! We had nothing but trouble from Generic as far as service, too, and I won't post what I would really like to say about them. After 3 years of frustration and re-applying neck labels by hand we were finally fed up enough to do away with the neck label completely, and I am glad of it everyday since. It was one of the best decisions we ever made! Our Starfire has been completely retrofitted and no longer resembles the machine it once was. It never has worked better! We get our parts from other sources too, something I would highly recommend to you. Find as many local suppliers that will make the parts you need! They are usually cheaper, faster, more agreeable to deal with, and better quality. Good luck with it, and let me know if I can help in any way.

Kevin

Comment

This might be nothing....but what if you label before bottling?

Comment

Labeler problems

Hello Kai,

I don't know if it will help, but I had a similar experience with the neck labels on my MEB pressure sensative labeler at Concord Brewery. I blamed the labeller for a long time, but the solution ended up being a matter of changing other factors.

The solution was two part. My initial bottling line configuration was to run through my rinser, then my labeler and finally my filler. I reconfigured the line so that the labeler was first in line, then the rinser, this allowed more time for the label adhesive to set before shocking it with a cold fill. The other change that I made was to insist on a "permenant, immediate set adhesive" from my label supplier. I remember that ST246 was the specific adhesive that we found to work the best (I believe that particular adhesive has been discontinued, but if you give that number to your supplier, they should be able to offer a compatible adhesive). In order to test a proposed adhesive, take a neck label and lightly apply it to a bottle, then immediately peel it back off, if the label comes off of the bottle cleanly, the adhesive is not aggressive enough. If, however, some of the paper tears and stays behind on the bottle, you have something you should be able work with.

I hope this helps.

If you would like more details about my experience, feel free to give me a shout.

Cheers,
        Mike
        Last edited by mlabbe; 05-06-2008, 02:17 PM.
        Michael Labbe
        Brewery Engineer / Director of Operations
        Lord Hobo Brewing Company
        5 Draper Street
        Woburn, MA 01801

Comment

I agree with the other posts, in that labelling first is essential to success. We found this to be the only way it worked on our line. The only thing is to find a strong varnish that can withstand the wet and abusive (to paper) conditions of the filling line. Also, I am not sure if this would help with neck labels, but environmental conditions have a huge impact on our labels. If the bottles are too cold (prior to filling) or the humidity is too high, etc. then the labels become problematic.

Comment

Working...
          X