Inline cartridge filtration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inline cartridge filtration

So, after some unpleasant experiences with a plate and frame filter, I switched over to a series of three 10" cartridges. They are in series and individually isolated.

I'm running micro glass media, with the first in series a 20 micron, then a 10 micron, then a 1 micro. Needless to say, on a 7bbl batch of beer that's been resting for 72 hours, I get about 5 gallons out before it blinds. I'd like to shove it up somebody's ass, but I need to make it work.

What's the problem, and what's the solution short of buying three bag filters to run in front of it?

The problem is probably that it's too small for the job. Solutions, short of ditching it, would probably involve getting the beer as clear as possible before racking it. I'd be using a yeast that flocculates really well, draining the yeast out of the fermenter as much as possible several times before racking/filtering, using fining agents, etc. You might even rethink filtering at all, the brewery I work for does all of the above and doesn't bother filtering, our beer comes out nice and bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Let's assume for the time being that filtering is going to be a part of our total cellar program. Are you seeing rapid blinding from Biofine in any of the prefilters or larger ratings?

Comment

When you say 10" cartridge I am assuming you mean something with a surface area of less than 1 sq foot. Putting this in perspective my plate and frame has 32 square feet of area. I use it on a 10bbl batch and it works fine unless I push my luck.

It is no wonder you are blinding the filter. If you still have the plate and frame I would suggest giving it another try. Then I would put your 10" filters in parallel and do a polish with them. Honestly I only filter with 8-12 micron pads (XE75) and it is perfectly brite to me!
        Mike Pensinger
        General Manager/Brewmaster
        Parkway Brewing Company
        Salem, VA

Comment

Which filter is plugging up? 1 micron is pretty damn fine, if it's getting to that point I'd try with a 5, or call it good with the 10.

Comment

Working...
          X