Wy 2565 and clarification time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wy 2565 and clarification time

I am running a 16HL finished volume brewpub where we use wy 2565 Kolsch yeast for our flag ship beer and I want to try and get the clarification time down.

Currently I cold crash to 0(32) and let it sit for 2 days, the rack it into the conditioning tank injecting biofine clear inline at a dosing rate of 1.25mL/L. This process usually takes 5 weeks to clarify and because we are starting to sell more beer through our taps and now through a small canning line, this is too slow. I have started to inject a further 1L of biofine in through the sample cock and bubbling co2 through for about 20 seconds a week or two before it needs to go on tap, but this means I am using 3L of finings for each batch of Kolsch.

I have seen some posts about brewers getting low floccing lager yeasts to drop out in what seems like absurdly short times (48-72 hours) by bubbling co2 through the racking arm after adding biofine, but has any one tried this technique with wy 2565?

I don't use uni-tanks, I have flat bottom bright tanks with up stands, so I was thinking of bubbling co2 through the up stand instead to try and get the fining to mix more thoroughly. I will let you know how that experiment works out, but if anyone has any other suggestions to try and get my clarification times down that would be appreciated, other wise i might have to start looking into a filter.

Have you tried gelatin or isinglass? Also, filtration is common when making kölsch

Comment

Originally posted by LongLiveLagers View Post
      Have you tried gelatin or isinglass? Also, filtration is common when making kölsch
      True, but I am trying to avoid filtration if I can. My brewery has limited floor space and the plate and frame filter necessary for what I need would take up what little space I have left.

I have not tried Isinglass on this yeast yet, but that is an option yes. Biofine is just easier to work with than Isinglass, so if I can keep it I would prefer to do that.

Thanks for the advice

Comment

We tried biofine clear in our alt that uses 2565, and it made it worse! Typically we see total clarity after a week in brite. If a plate and frame is too bulky, consider a lenticular from Pall.

Make sure you've got plenty of calcium. That's the biggest driver we've seen with this yeast.
        Mike Elliott
        Head Brewer
        Philipsburg Brewing Co.
        Montana

Comment

Ah 2565, you magnificent, cloudy, acidic, unflocculant bastard, know that I love you.

Recently we've had poor results with biofine at 75ml/bbl. Might switch back to gelatin. But the real answer is our filter, which I don't really think there's a way around it, beyond weeks and weeks of lagering, if you want a crystal clear Kolsch.

And boy my eye gets all twitchy when I go somewhere and they serve me a cloudy "Kolsch".
          Russell Everett
          Co-Founder / Head Brewer
          Bainbridge Island Brewing
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Elliott View Post
            We tried biofine clear in our alt that uses 2565, and it made it worse! Typically we see total clarity after a week in brite. If a plate and frame is too bulky, consider a lenticular from Pall.

Make sure you've got plenty of calcium. That's the biggest driver we've seen with this yeast.
            Are you just using Isinglass for your filtration?

I have been talking to pall as well, but I would like to avoid costly equipment purchases until i have exhausted all other option.

Cheers,

Comment

No isinglass. We like to tell people we're vegan... Weird for Montanans, but no one's had a beef with it yet. See what I did there?
              Mike Elliott
              Head Brewer
              Philipsburg Brewing Co.
              Montana

Comment

Working...
              X