Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

milling wheat -- adjust or not? run thru mill 2x?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milling wheat -- adjust or not? run thru mill 2x?

I'm about to do our first wheat beer on our 7 bbl system. I have only changed the gap setting once on our mill since starting one year ago. It was to crush some rye last fall. Long story short, when I adjusted it "back" to the previous setting, it clearly was tighter because all of a sudden my efficiency went way up. Instead of trying to change it to where it was, moving forward I adjusted the recipes to the higher efficiency, of course.

Flash forward to now -- milling wheat. My recipe is about 45%, and am wondering how crucial it is to adjust the gap for it specifically. I use wheat in small percentages of many of our beers w/o messing with the setting, though in those instances I'm not depending on a big contribution from the extraction. And is it possible to not change the gap but run it through twice? I did that on my homebrew mill and that seemed to crush it finer. Anyone doing that?

Thanks!
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

When I do our Berliners with 50% wheat I usually just run it through the same gap and end up with about 80% efficiency maybe a touch lower than I normally get.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
      When I do our Berliners with 50% wheat I usually just run it through the same gap and end up with about 80% efficiency maybe a touch lower than I normally get.
      Thanks. I may just go this route. Any reason to not run through twice?
      Dave Cowie
      Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
      Nevada City, CA

Comment

I'm using a glorified homebrew mill for now that does not have an easily adjustable gap. I run the wheat through twice and it works fine. Why lose efficiency for something that has an easy remedy.

Comment

Working...
        X