Triple Batches...Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Batches...Advice?

I will shortly have some 30 BBL tanks up and running, and will need to triple batch to fill them. Right now I'm doing double batches in one day, pitching 20 BBL worth of yeast with the first batch. I've heard a couple different techniques for doing triple batches, and was wondering what people recommended. I was originally planning on doing two batches on day 1, pitching 30 BBL worth of yeast with the first batch, then on day 2 not oxygenating the last 10 BBL. It was then recommended to me to do one 10 BBL batch on day 1, pitch 10 BBL worth of yeast, and on day 2 do a double batch and add the additional 20 BBL of wort without adding any more yeast.

Any advice?

Generally you would try to go double, full pitch with 02, then single the next day w/o 02. That's more or less the schedule that has been used in the breweries I have worked where 3x brews are done for a fill

Comment

I second wailingguitars advice

Comment

I triple brew in one day. It is 12 hours plus cleaning.

I pitch yeast for full volume and O2 wort every batch with great results. It can be done but it is a long day.

Comment

We have been doing triple batches for about a year an a half. We double batch on day 1 full O2 during the first batch, half O2 during the second, no O2 during the 3rd on the next day. We only pitch slightly more than a 10BBL pitch during the first batch. There is about 4 hours between the first and second batch. We have found that there is ample amount of yeast growth during each KO. We tried a 20BBL pitch, but found there was too much yeast produced and our beer yield decreased significantly. That being said, our pitch is always at least the second or third generation yeast. We never use a fresh 10BBL pitch on a 30BBL batch.

Hope this helps.

Chris
          Founder, Head Brewer
          Pikes Peak Brewing Co.
          Monument, CO

Comment

Working...
          X